My 1st Kukri!

Just got this from Himalayan Imports. It's huge blade measures 23 inches and it's a beast to swing. It's very well made I cut a sneaker box in half it had Quarter inch cardboard very thick. This thing could cut you in half. I am afraid it's going to slip right out of my hand though. Any suggestions on strapping this on a safety band? Here is a few pics. Thanks for the feed back!
949ea186c5f07012fcf06eff2a50f05c.jpg
b0d4695c24c4959dc850622a74401e90.jpg
bf34b6a61a4be2c3d22ced4498632933.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had one of those, I'd debate whether or not to mod the handle with grip tape (or perhaps something less coarse). I always thought it was silly to design a huge blade with smooth handle. Nice purchase!

I was thinking about using one of those rubber flashlight grips they have a sleeve you can put your hand through so it won't fly off even if you hand opens.

With the right technique, it should lock right into you hand. Khuks are usually swung in a snappy chop and not a wide arc. If you swing it more like a hatchet, that center ring will lock right in between your fingers.

Very stable grip:)

Congrsts. She's gorgeous.

Fantastic Khukuri, congratulations! The thing with large or heavy traditional khukuries is, they tend to fly away from your grip, no matter what sort of handle material is used, I have one 21inch Khukuri made by KHHI, it's Sirupate model with Indian Rosewood handle and one 20inch Chiruwa AngKhola from HI,handle is made out of Buffalo horn, it's well polished and it's gloss surface make it extremely slippy when you swing with this weight of half inch thick blade.... Sirupate is little bit more grippy and lightweight, so you can make better swing and faster chopping with it,,,, but the only way to make it safer is to improvise with some sort of strong homemade D guard out of leather or paracord mounted to handle ....

Great looking knife you have!

Thank you I got an idea of using those rubber condoms you put in flashlights that have a loop you put your hand through that will keep it from getting away.

Nice! Only kukri Ive ever handled was the Kabar model. What kind of steal does it sport?

A knife should be secure because of its handle shape and not rely on a rough surface texture.

Even the super shiny horn handle Kukris are secure. In fact the reduced friction reduces the numbers of blisters if one really uses it for a longer time.

But not everybody thinks like me and there are even modern axes with rubberised grips which tear my skin off after just an hour or so of working. Outch.

I like things smooth and don't even mind if my Kukris and pick axe handles are oiled. I never had either one fly away from me.

Index finger and thumb are secured around the handle and never open. How can it slide out then?
The other fingers move and give the knife it's snap. With that movement you can see how a rough surface will do more damage than good.

I wouldn't put a strap on that. Ive had some bad experiences with the safety straps lol. If they slips the blade can swing back at you and cut you

Back