My 1st Phil Wilson came today!

So there I was, trying to get some work done today when I was given a box from Mr. Phil Wilson. I felt like I was a kid I was so excited.

I lost my folding Benchmade (a Switchback 921 I believe) that I carried for a long time a year ago or so and I needed a new knife. Started looking at what is the best out there (just the way my mind works) and during the search for a folder to replace the one I lost I ran across Ankerson's thread on knife steel. I saw Phil Wilson (briefly) mentioned a couple times and was intrigued. So back in February of this year, I started talking to Phil Wilson about a knife. I ended up getting a South Fork. I sent him the handle material as I like the jade and tried to be patient (thanks for your patience with me Phil).

There's not a ton of pics and info out there so I thought I'd post up some about my new knife. The South Fork has a CPM S110V blade that Phil said came in at RC 63. I really like the shape of the blade as I helped a buddy skin a deer a week ago (my first time) and I really think this blade design would have been perfect for that (but what do I know). I used a Randall Model 26 Pathfinder and it worked well.

So here she is:

20131125_180953.jpg

20131125_181054.jpg

20131125_181822.jpg

20131125_181015.jpg

And I just couldn't wait to get her in my sharpener... :cool: I put 15° edge per side and I really think this knife could go 10°. I've not sharpened a knife with a blade that takes a thin edge like this one.

20131125_171314.jpg

Cut a tomato and an apple. Cut right through them lol. I just need some meat to cut now.

Congrats! Nice choice of handle material. A buddy and I were just discussing Phil's work recently. He's really pushing the envelope with those steels. No doubt it will cut like a laser for many months to come.

Congrats! Nice choice of handle material. A buddy and I were just discussing Phil's work recently. He's really pushing the envelope with those steels. No doubt it will cut like a laser for many months to come.

^^^ This.

That's a very nice South Fork, and your choice of Phil's S110V is da bomb. Congrats!

Anyone who has read Jim Ankerson's extensive reviews can appreciate what orders of magnitude Phil Wilson wrings out of the CPM steels. Amazing stuff. :thumbup:

Congrats indeed. Phil's slicers are an absolute pleasure to use in the kitchen. And "cut like a laser for many months to come" is a very accurate description of the performance you can look forward to!

Cheers...Pete

IMG_3138.jpgIMG_3126.jpg

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm SO happy with the knife I got from Phil. I need to spend some more time with it on the WE to get the blade wicked sharp (that steel is hard).

I REALLY like the Jade G10 handles. I purchased the material online from a knife maker supply shop. I actually had Keyman here on the forum do the same scale material on my 581 (along with some other things after having the M390 re-heat treated by Paul Bos to RC 62 IIRC):

benchmade%2520681%2520barrage%252011.jpg

benchmade%2520681%2520barrage%25208.jpg

I'm not the guy that has an EDC rotation but I like to carry my 581 when I dress up. Lol I normally carry a full size Grip in CPM M4 and I really like this one (Keyman did the scales on this one too--she gets worked pretty hard):

20130731_214434.jpg

Question for you guys that have Phil Wilson knives: On the bottom of the tang in the handle area is the number 63. Is this the RC and does Phil do this on all his knives?

I felt like I was a kid I was so excited.

I love that feeling! Just received a box myself recently, with a cold steel folding khukuri in it :)

That little knife you got yourself there looks great, and I totally hear ya on getting the edge the way you like it- first thing I do when I get a new knife is fiddle with the edge bevel.

I also got a 581 in M390 and it's an amazing knife, great handle/blade ratio and the steel is very impressive. I really like the handle treatment of the one you posted here, looks great!

Congrats indeed. Phil's slicers are an absolute pleasure to use in the kitchen. And "cut like a laser for many months to come" is a very accurate description of the performance you can look forward to!

I have a Phil Wilson Chef's knife and a Fillet knife. I agree 100% that they are a pleasure to use and stay sharp for a long time.

You will enjoy using your knife. Congratulations.

I have a Phil Wilson Chef's knife and a Fillet knife. I agree 100% that they are a pleasure to use and stay sharp for a long time.

You will enjoy using your knife. Congratulations.
You are fortunate. Phil is not taking orders for Chef's knives. I would love to have one as that is where I get to play (I cut stuff, she cooks it LOL). I have a decent Wa Gyuto but it's not the knife I'm looking for. Thin and S110V would be perfect at RC 63.

AND my next knife from Phil will be a fillet. I've been searching for a really good one forever. I just need to be patient with Phil. I'm used to this as I've been collecting Randall's and I normally wait for them from Blossom Trail...

I've been using this knife quite a bit and am amazed at how easily it slices AND how well it holds an edge. I have not been able to get her hair popping sharp (may be moving a bit in my Wicked Edge as it's FFG) but it still amazes me how it cuts. I don't usually cut cardboard (normally seems like a good way to dull a sharp blade) but this thing is amazing in how she holds an edge. This was about half way through the Christmas Amazon boxes that arrived...

20131206_175010.jpg

And here she is chucked-up in the Wicked Edge (sorry for the quality of the pic):

20131125_171255.jpg

Attachments

• 20131125_171255.jpg
    20131125_171255.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13
Phil's knives are everything you need and nothing you don't need. Just a superior cutting tool. I don't think I've ever owned a sharper knife. Great pattern, steels, and love the jade handle.

Congratulations,Phil's knives are meant to be used. When I lived in NJ and did a lot of SW fishing I ordered a pair of knives from Phil.They were a pleasure to use, especially the fillet.

Back