My 1st Randall Made - Model 1-7

TC

First time buyer and it's not even here yet (expect Wednesday delivery), but the seller did not have much info on the particulars. Done a few hours reading here and went through the Randall home page.

Put one pic up in the "Incoming" thread in GKD yesterday, but thought I'd post some more here.

So it is a pretty standard Model 1: 7" stainless blade, brass double guard, Duralumin butt cap with lanyard hole, stacked leather with finger grips (as Randall calls them instead of grooves). Only thing I note beyond that is that the spacers are black, which is not a listed option on the Randall site and not something I've seen in the threads in this forum (alas, many don't show the posted photos anymore). Randall site shows red/white/blue exclusively. Have to say I much prefer this black look. Sheath looks a darker brown, so perhaps it got the wax treatment.

Seller said essentially unused, which I find credible going by the pics.

Anything to add? Appr. age (I'm guessing pretty recent)? What's with the black paint in the logo stamp? Not sure if it will be a user yet, probably baby it for while and then eventually take it out into the woods...

Nice one, classic. Great set of options.:thumbsup::)

Reactions: TC
Beautiful example of a Randall. There's a lot of drama in the design, but at the same time it is clearly a knife that you can "take out into the woods" and put to serious, practical use. The sheath looks simple, robust and beautiful, too. Congrats. :)

T TC , that is as classic a Randall as only a few are. It is indeed best kept on a belt, and taken into the woods, making memories. Enjoy it in the best of health for many years down the trail :thumbsup:

What a great knife! The butt cap made of duralumin alloy has some interesting history. That alloy was originally used in airships at the turn of the last century, and is still used in aircraft, today.

It is like holding history, in your hand.

Great looking knife! Classic design. I went through the little room with the testimonials and old knives.That design has a lot of history behind it.

A bud I know, a two or three tour Special Forces Vietnam veteran, said "every infantry Officer had a Randall". I assume it was a #1 or #14, but you never know, might have been a trout and bird floating around.

This is a knife he brought back, some of you might recognize it. Bud did not like it, the first he had broke its tip on saw grass.

QNFu88w.jpg

Did they tell you what they are using for stainless? When I bought mine, it was 440A. Or 440B, but it was not 440C. Can't forge 440C, or so I have been told. And if they are still forging blanks into blades, that will limit what they can use. Just curious.

Last edited:
First time buyer and it's not even here yet (expect Wednesday delivery), but the seller did not have much info on the particulars. Done a few hours reading here and went through the Randall home page.

Put one pic up in the "Incoming" thread in GKD yesterday, but thought I'd post some more here.

So it is a pretty standard Model 1: 7" stainless blade, brass double guard, Duralumin butt cap with lanyard hole, stacked leather with finger grips (as Randall calls them instead of grooves). Only thing I note beyond that is that the spacers are black, which is not a listed option on the Randall site and not something I've seen in the threads in this forum (alas, many don't show the posted photos anymore). Randall site shows red/white/blue exclusively. Have to say I much prefer this black look. Sheath looks a darker brown, so perhaps it got the wax treatment.

Seller said essentially unused, which I find credible going by the pics.

Anything to add? Appr. age (I'm guessing pretty recent)? What's with the black paint in the logo stamp? Not sure if it will be a user yet, probably baby it for while and then eventually take it out into the woods...

TC,Congrats on your first Randall,very nice!
The guard on yours looks to me to be Nickle Silver though,not brass.

The all black spacers are,I think, a special order option.
(M-P will be able to put you right on that.)

Sheath is standard,not waxed. If it was,it would have a "W" on the back.

Not black paint in the logo,the blades are forged.(this one would be 440B/C,I think the more modern ones are now 440C)
Again M-P could clear that up for you.
The black is the unpolished steel in the bottom of the logo.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Did they tell you what they are using for stainless?

I bought this from a private seller who was also not the original buyer and who did not provide any specifics. From what I gather 440B seems most likely, but as zanussi points out it could be 440C if recent. Unfortunately I don't know when this one was built.

Very cool knife in your photo, thanks for sharing. Always interesting when there's a story attached. Tip of another one broke on saw grass, imagine that!

Zanussi - Thank you for the additional information! Sheath looked darker than most I've seen, so I thought maybe waxed. Threads don't look like someone did a home job on it.

Wasn't sure from the pics about the guard, but now that you say nickel silver, I'm guessing you're correct. Better color match with the aluminum butt cap for sure.

Your explanation for the black coloring of the stamp also makes sense. Probably never been cleaned with any sort of oil/solvent then, because, again from other pictures, well-used ones look more metallic.

And the "Options" listings on the Randall site don't tell you all options (the spacers) - noted!

Zanussi - Thank you for the additional information! Sheath looked darker than most I've seen, so I thought maybe waxed. Threads don't look like someone did a home job on it.

Wasn't sure from the pics about the guard, but now that you say nickel silver, I'm guessing you're correct. Better color match with the aluminum butt cap for sure.

Your explanation for the black coloring of the stamp also makes sense. Probably never been cleaned with any sort of oil/solvent then, because, again from other pictures, well-used ones look more metallic.

And the "Options" listings on the Randall site don't tell you all options (the spacers) - noted!
No worries TC,glad to help.:thumbsup:
You have most likely seen this pic,if not,this shows the basic steps to make a Randall 1-7.
The one in this pic is Carbon blade (01),but the Stainless (440B/C) are done the same.
The only difference is the temp and times used in the tempering/hardening process.
You can see in the middle pic,the logo is stamped,then the blades are progressively hand finished,hence the black in the logo.
They don't clean the logos out with solvents,the differences you will see will be from how deep the logo is struck,how old the stamps are,and from being hand finished.
Lquk2e0.png

No worries TC,glad to help.:thumbsup:
You have most likely seen this pic,if not,this shows the basic steps to make a Randall 1-7.
The one in this pic is Carbon blade (01),but the Stainless (440B/C) are done the same.
The only difference is the temp and times used in the tempering/hardening process.
You can see in the middle pic,the logo is stamped,then the blades are progressively hand finished,hence the black in the logo.
They don't clean the logos out with solvents,the differences you will see will be from how deep the logo is struck,how old the stamps are,and from being hand finished.
Lquk2e0.png

No, I hadn't seen that picture - much appreciated!

Package just arrived but I'll wait a bit until my secretaries have gone home - they tend to just pop in and don't need to see me playing with a new knife LOL...

Back