My 21' Sirupati Arrived Today--My First Khukuri

My Sirupati got here today, earlier than I expected it. I purchased it from Pat Togher.

As for my initial impression, I am impressed. The workmanship is remarkable for something handmade with relatively primitive tools. The feel and balance are excellent, and it is all I can do not to rush out and start chopping things with it.

I think I will leave this one in its present pristine condition, and begin making plans to get another for a user.

What would you guys suggest for my next purchase, one to carry in the hunting/fihing truck? I am not sure this is healthy...I haven't even had the kukhuri overnight, and I am already planning my next purchase...I'm doomed. :)

If I was looking for another good user I think I'd grab one of those 15" horn-handled AK's Uncle Bill's giving away today. Can't beat the price.

I was cotemplating that, Raghorn. I need to wait a few days at least, though.

The only problem with waiting around the Cantina is that there are folks who don't wait. I've been lurking for quite a while and observing the feeding frenzies.

That's OK, there will be more.

I probably would have bitten on the 2-for-one deal already if I hadn't ordered one just like it on a PGA earlier in the week. :)

The BAS is another nice, mid sized blade. I don't have an HI BAS, but I do have a villager whose dimensions are similar. It was a nice blade until it broke, but fortunately HI blades aren't as prone to breakage as villagers are. Those 15" AK's are nice too, if I hadn't already bitten on a PGA earlier this week I'd be all over those.

Congrats on the new blade Coonskinner:D I don't blame you for wanting to keep it new looking, but you are right in getting one (quick!) to do just that because that Sirupati will start begging like a dog in heat to go outside, and CHOP, before long:D

I would recommend a 15" Chiruwa handled AK, I have one in this size that is my favorite "small" khuk. Its balance is amazing and in the smaller sizes (IMHO) the Chiruwa handle doesn't lead to any difference in shock felt in the hand during chopping. But it does make for a beautifully balanced and tough as all hell khukuri! I got one with the karda and chakma also with Chiruwa handles--how cool is that?:)

However, Uncle's 2 for one at 125 deal is unbelievable!!! Even if one handle cracks, you can have a backup khuk to use while the epoxy dries on the other one!:D

Back