My 2nd (and now a 3rd) specimen of the 1917 Frontier Bowie. And ?'s for CS Rep...

674f9w.jpg

2epj679.jpg

I wanted to add a second specimen of this model to my collection, and today marks that being achieved. The arrival of it was in today's mail delivery. The cardboard box is the same kind used with my first specimen, but unlike my first specimen, it did not come with a British Proof Test Certificate. I ordered this knife from the same dealer as I used when I ordered my first one (reputable). Anyhow, I had read a recent review that someone posted on that big online "A" ordering giant, and the person commented that he too had not received this document with his. I am thinking maybe they are doing away with this "Proof Test" document for these model knives. Another reason may be that the different 1085 steel and whatever tempering it gets, may not give the same sort of springiness that was found with the 1055 carbon steel and the tempering it was receiving. In any case, without this document, there is no way I can place a date on when it was manufactured, and I therefore have no idea if it's in the 1055 carbon steel range of manufacture, or in the 1085 carbon steel range of manufacture.
As for my initial inspection of this knife before I headed into work, it seems just as decently made as my first specimen, so that makes me happy. I do wish there was a way to tell (without doing something destructive to it) what type of blade steel was used on it... But, it seems I'll never know. My first specimen is definitely a 1055 carbon steel model, since it was made back in January of 2014.

idgcnb.jpg

ri93cy.jpg

This brings me to my questions for the CS Representative here on this forum...

Could you let me know whether the British Proof Test Certificate has been discontinued for this model knife?

Also, did you change the sku number when you went to the 1085 carbon steel on this model knife?

All above pics are of the new specimen.

Here is a picture of the paperwork and CS hang tag I received with my first specimen that I did not receive with my second.
1ekrc6.jpg

There may be markings on the tang under the rosewood handle, but I am not planning to remove the handle to find out. I have read some reviews where some folks have been turned off with Cold Steel not having marked these knives with their 'Cold Steel' logo... But, considering that the average blacksmith bowie of the day did not have any stamps on them, this makes the knife fit that era knife even more. Yes, it was common to see markings on company made bowies of the day, but not as common for an average American blacksmith made bowie to be marked. These frontier bowies have more of that blacksmith made look, and seems just fine without the markings. I actually prefer it without the visable logo (atleast on this particular model)... But that's just me and my taste, ymmv ☺

Last edited:
I was not aware of a steel change in this model.

If there was a steel change then the SKU would have been changed as well. The 88CSAB matches the SKU for the 1055 model listed on the site.

Ahh, okay, thanks!... So, it seems I most likely have another 1055 carbon steel Frontier Bowie. I don't know why the British Proof Test Certificate wasn't in the box (and if one was originally in there, where it got separated from the knife)... But, the knife and sheath are nice specimens, so no deal breaker there. It would have been nice to have that certificate and date for posterity.

Btw, when I say that these two 1917 Frontier Bowie knives are nice specimens, I mean that they are decently made, but not that they are flawless. Both of these knives I own show obvious hand work done, and are most definitely not done where machines perform tasks that eliminate most human error. Sometimes things look almost perfect, but often to the point where the item obviously looks modern made. Not these knives... These show signs that hands on work were used, likely only using machine shop grinding wheels and such. I know that CNC and other modern machining advances can create more precise and consistency from product to product, but it usually kills that feel of authenticity that a more hands on item produces. These are also not custom knives, so even the hands on work should not be compared to those, which are priced accordingly for the extensive extra work dedicated to come closer to perfection.
These 1917 Frontier Bowies are very decent hand made items that have an awesome rustic charm to them... The look they have achieved with this model, makes one feel like one is holding an old world crafted item... not seeming to be something made in 2015. For me, that is all sorts of cool 😀

Last edited:
I checked the sku number on my first specimen's box and compared it to the specimen I received today. They do in fact have the same sku number. So, if Cold Steel indeed changed their sku for this product when it went to the 1085 carbon steel, then my sku number on today's received knife would place my second specimen as being like my first (a 1055 carbon steel knife).

Beautiful blade! i guess you will find out when you start using the knife. otherwise it doesnt matter what steel. if it has problem with its performance im sure CS will take care of you..
Most people can't tell the difference anyways, so i dont know why the obsession in steel...

Purchased for my collection, so I wanted both steels represented. I like to have info on the items I own. But, in any case, it will still go good in my Collection.

Purchased for my collection, so I wanted both steels represented. I like to have info on the items I own. But, in any case, it will still go good in my Collection.

I guess that makes sense for collection since the value could be different. I think they look great regardless of the steel. I would use one and keep one tho, just to see how that bluing wears overtime, it may even look better since the knife takes on user's character with use.

I will simply add the new one into my self titled "Man Gadget Collection"... I have a display case housing a Spanish made .50 caliber Kentucky percussion pistol, (a gun which I assembled from a kit), that would benefit in style if this knife were added and displayed with it.

20hlsus.jpg

Funny thing about the 1055 carbon steel Frontier Bowie is that they only made this model for a year and a half or so before switching to the 1085. That being the case, it looks like the 1055 steel versions will be greatly outnumbered by the versions in 1085 in the years to come. I will only have the first specimen with a "Certificate" to prove it's manufacturing date range, and I will make sure to place info and maybe a close up picture of my original specimen in it's original box, making sure I keep it stored where the knife can always have it's original packaging from being mixed with the other one's. Some may call it OCD... But I am old enough now to consider it being organized with a touch of being anal 😉

On another note, I again want to give kudos to Cold Steel for having these Bowies well protected with somewhat thick grease. As with my first specimen, no rust spots at all on this knife, and that would have really been a deal breaker. I mean, it's a blued steel knife, and any real rust would have damaged that finish.

First purchased specimen on the left, new one on the right...
2954k1u.jpg

First purchased specimen on the left, new one on the right...
jgmpsj.jpg

First purchased specimen on the bottom, new one on the top...
2nhn5me.jpg

I like them both 😀 I also like the fact that this Bowie truly brings something new to the Bowie table. It certainly is not a copy of any historical piece, yet screams out old school with it's appearance. It's name having 1917 in it, seems to imply that their 1917 Cutlass somehow was the inspiration, and the sheath surely shows that. And, them bluing the blade, again likens it to their Cutlass... But... that massive deep fuller, that somewhat unique one piece handle, the square'ish handle shape with semi pistol grip pommel... Well, what I am saying is, it is not just another ho-hum entry into the Bowie world. Okay, it's not going to be every man's cup of tea... But it surely is mine 😀 Sometimes a company can really think outside the box, and Cold Steel did this with this model... They did not necessarily follow old school Bowie ideas, but still incorporated enough of it to pay the design great homage. They delivered pixie dust styling to my taste buds 😀

My plan is to pair these two together in a display case... Maybe I should call it "The Sandbar"... lol! 😀
r0cz8g.jpg

Last edited:
I occasionally like a production knife enough, that I end up adding a second specimen to my collection. RARELY does a model enthuse me enough to entice me to purchase a 3rd identical specimen (a couple have landed within that category). Anyhow, the Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie has made my list of 3 indentical specimens purchased.

My latest Bowie (my third CS 1917 Frontier Bowie)
15gx91y.jpg

I had noticed that my source for purchasing my previous two, had reached an "out of stock" status on these, (right after my last purchase of one). With my really hoping to land a 1085 carbon steel version for my collection, I decided to wait until they restocked on them, and order another. My reasoning, (right or wrong), was that them being out of stock would have them replenishing from Cold Steel with new 1085 specimens.
As for what the Cold Steel Representative said here on the forum about their 1917 Frontier Bowie steel change, here is what he stated...

"It appears that was a rolling change in materials in the second quarter of this year (2015). All blades from then onwards will be the 1085. This was after catalogs were printed but the change will be reflected in next year's print materials etc."

I now believe that this latest knife, and the previous one, are the 1085 versions. Why?...

*Well, the frog on both of my last two specimens have the rotational frog rivet covered by the sheath, (as to not make contact with the guard). My 1st specimen, which is definitely a 1055 time frame knife, has that rivet sitting higher and can certainly contact the knife's guard. The way they made the changes is by cutting the height a little shorter on the rounded part of the the leather frog. It causes the rivet to be lower and sit behind the sheath.

*The last two knives also came without the "British Proof Test Certificate", where as my 1st specimen did come with it.

*My last two specimens came with no Cold Steel hang tag in the box... my 1st specimen did come with one.

*The first specimen had come with some off white colored wrapping paper as protective packaging material, where as my last two specimens came with none of this paper, but with a bit of plastic wrapped on two sections of the bowie and sheath tip.

*The last two specimens have almost identical handguards, where the first is slightly differently contoured at their ends (ever so slight, but noticable when compared). Again, the difference is minor, but I'd say my last two specimens end with their "S" shaped guards in a slightly simplified manner.

*Both of my last two specimens seem to have received more focus on their sharpening than my first... As if they were trying to address some of the concerns people were having with the original specimen's overall sharpening.

All this could just be coincidences, but I am believing my last two are 1085 carbon steel models, while my first is definitely one of the 1055 carbon steel models.
Btw, all three were purchased from the same reputable vendor 😀

As for the overall condition of my received 3rd specimen?... Just like my first two... I am happy with all three. Thick grease covering the blued steel blade and sheath accents, which again did a great job of keeping the metal corrosion free. This also has the sweetest Rosewood handle of the three, with my second specimen having the next place position for that. I believe many folks get turned off by these knives because they do not match the refined exactness of the other Cold Steel Bowie models. Well, to that I say... It's like comparing the Queen Cutlery pocket knives to Victorinox (Swiss Army) knives. Queen does alot of old school production methods, where Swiss Army knives are almost exactly indentical from one specimen to the next, but they are made with almost total automation (modern is synonymous with Victorinox). What you get with these bowies, is a touch of old school tech, giving them an authentic look that can't be replicated with too much modern state of the art injection. Will I buy a fourth?... No... As I mentioned above, three of a kind happens rarely, but this model knife definitely caused my liking them enough to include it in my "three of a kind" list 😀

I am hoping that the CS Representative on this forum will see this post and either debunk my observations, or reinforce them 😀

My third specimen...
f9pac0.jpg

This picture does not do justice to the grain of this Rosewood handle, but it truly is a great wood pattern. I worked for a company named 'Warwick Architectural Woodwork Refinishers' for almost a decade, (decades ago), and I gained an appreciation for wood... This little piece of Rosewood lumber has gorgeous grain, (I just could not capture it with my poor picture taking skills).
qog74m.jpg

Btw... These knives are made by Windlass Steelcrafts in India to Cold Steel's specs. I have seen more than one website stating these as made in China, but again, Windlass Steelcrafts in India is the source for this Cold Steel product.

And, on another note... I have read atleast one opinion where someone was critical about this model having slotted screws. I know some may have prefered to have seen rivets... But I am not one of those people. I think the only down side may be the screws loosening, which of course can be tightened. As for the positives... The screw method allows one to remove the wooden handle if ever the knife were to somehow get drenched with water, as to allow the handle to dry seperately, and allowing the tang to be dried and oiled. It also allows for an easier replacement of that handle if that need ever comes (or if one simply wants to replace the handle with some other material). If they would have went with allen screws, then I believe the look would have been wrong... But the slotted screws are a great look on this knife. Imo ☺

Last edited:
Quite impressed. Think im gonna add one to my stable...but as a user.

j5dt9e.jpg

Here she is in one of my display cases (had to play a bit of musical chairs). Anyhow, the other big bowie is the Ontario Marine Raider, and even though she is a beast in her own right, she's dwarfed by the Frontier Bowie 😀

Btw, the other knives are a Gerber single edged punch knife, and a Utica, Queen, and Canal Street pocket knives. Just like the Ontario Bowie, these too are made in the USA ☺

Last edited:
They are usually front loading shadow boxes (having hinged frontal glass doors). I tend to find them at Marshalls, or sometimes at the large craft places (Hobby Lobby and Michaels). 😀

At last count, I have over 30 shadow boxes throughout my place to display and protect my collection of "Man Gadgets". Some are square, and some rectangular in shape. Almost all of them are front loading, but a few are back loading design (my much prefering the front loaders). If they are flatly placed upon tables, the contents can simply be placed inside without any additional modifications. But, if they are to be used in hanging on the wall, then I got'a use my creativity to place them within. For my CS 1917 Navy Cutlass, I did not use a store bought display because the size required something more purpose built. So, I ordered a sword display from San Francisco Display. Price was just over $100, including it's S&H. But that was for a sword, when it comes to knives, shadow boxes can work great 😀

Here is that same display shown above after my playing musical chairs again. As you can see, with the shadow box being placed flat on a table, there is wiggle room for one to rearrange things any time that one wants to. Somehow my mini bowies partnered up with my latest large bowie 😀
2a5gjlg.jpg

Last edited:
My use for these is strictly for home decor, collecting purposes, and for posterity ☺
They will all live a pampered life, as the following two pictures shows some of my items doing...

j9rguw.jpg

ameceg.jpg

Last edited:
Btw, on another note about the CS Frontier Bowie that I truly like in it's design... The type of tang it uses. Though I gravitate towards the styling of the Frontier Bowie over the Cold Steel Natchez (just a visual preference thing)... I also like the Natchez' styling. My decision to not buy a Natchez and adding it to my collection, was based on the tang, which is totally hidden, and from what I have read, is still likely the cable tang method. I know my reason for buying these knives is strictly for decor, collecting, and posterity... But, I still look at these things and say to myself, "How will they age in the future?". In other words, if the item is well taken care of, kept in a favorable environment... How will it stand up to the test of time? I look at this Frontier Bowie, and all that can break down, (again, if well maintained indefinitely to prevent rust), would be it's Rosewood handle. Even so, 1000 years from now, the handle could decay from simple age, but the integrity of the knife itself, which has a thick through tang, would remain intact. On the other hand, a cable tang relies on the integrity of the handle itself to keep the knife in it's tool condition. If the handle ages to the point of decaying (or breaking down in it's synthetic composition), or if it aged to the point where it became fragile, the tool purpose would be lost. Not that I will live for a thousand years, but the thought that these Frontier Bowies could survive that time, and still function as a tool, makes them kinda cool in my mind, and fits that whole posterity catagory. I also like the Old School look, feel, and production methods used on such an item... Keeping some old school hands on production method items alive within my collection. The same would hold true, in my mind, between an old school forged steel Colt 1911-A1 vs. a Glock 17. 1000 years from now, the polymer of the Glock may weaken from polymer breakdown to no longer allow it to be used as a tool (though it would still likely appear just fine visually). On the other hand, the old school 1911 would likely be ready for shooting at the local range, where death ray guns will likely be the norm (we are talking 1000 years from now) 😉 Just my personal likes, but without personal likes, the world would be one big cookie cutter 😀

PS.
I still think highly of my little Glock model 26... As a tool for today, (not a posterity thing), she is a great implement 😀

Last edited:
This one always reminds me of the bayonets I collected as an early teen. Just has that look.

Btw, on another note about the CS Frontier Bowie that I truly like in it's design... The type of tang it uses. Though I gravitate towards the styling of the Frontier Bowie over the Cold Steel Natchez (just a visual preference thing)... I also like the Natchez' styling. My decision to not buy a Natchez and adding it to my collection, was based on the tang, which is totally hidden, and from what I have read, is still likely the cable tang method. On the other hand, a cable tang relies on the integrity of the handle itself to keep the knife in it's tool condition. If the handle ages to the point of decaying (or breaking down in it's synthetic composition), or if it aged to the point where it became fragile, the tool purpose would be lost. 😀

😀

The carbon steel Natchez has a cable tang, but the one in San Mai III has a solid rod tang. Obviously, not as thick as in the Frontier bowie but if you'd like a Natchez and you don't want a cable tang, then that's the way to go. The SMIII Natchez is getting hard to find now though, as it's been discontinued. I guess if the handle ever deteriorated on the cable tang version, you'd have to re-handle it and you should be good for another 50 years or so.

Back