My 2x72 grinder build

I hope this is in the right spot, feel free to move if not.

I thought I’d share the 2x72 grinder I just finished. I decided after a few months of tinkering around making knives that it's time to build a 2x72 Grinder. I'm trying to keep the cost down so I'm using a treadmill and various steel and parts I have lying around.

Here is what I have so far:
Here is the preliminary design with a 10" contact wheel
HCzTENX.jpg

Im making a flat platen
ca4cF0y.jpg

Here it is tacked up. The pieces that are white is steel from the treadmill.
bUkMWKe.jpg

I'm also using a hitch receiver tube for the work pieces to slide in
B0Tyq9A.jpg

Here I have started on the tensioner
xu3LKwM.jpg

Bvy56w7.jpg

hJXO1Tt.jpg

MvlsTcA.jpg

I have also fabricated the tracking system on the tensioner arm
RX1ZzLX.jpg

For wheels on the flat platen I'm using skate board wheels
yx7gR18.jpg

fQHYzWW.jpg

2x72,belt grinder,

Here is everything welded up, I added more support and gussets. I put a crown in the tracking pulley and started on the tensioner.

5Ccypju.jpg

DFEU49J.jpg

qOXapgX.jpg

AykPD1h.jpg

The start of the controls using the treadmill control board.
H1PnqpD.jpg

Here is the board with a fresh coat of paint to tidy it up. I decided to keep the distance display just for the heck of it. Everything else I blacked out.
I6iWWJp.jpg

Here are some finished pictures:
n7q8zaz.jpg

jNIhGkF.jpg

here is the 2nd attachment I made for it. It's for tighter radius's and also grinding in fullers. I do want some options for even tighter radius’s, just have to source parts.

80UcFP9.jpg

oz6ZwPg.jpg

miRuusk.jpg

Here is a video kind of going over the whole thing.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for sharing this Caleb. As I'm scrolling and studying the photos, I'm thinking "I wish he'd show a video...." POW!

Color me impressed. I'm jealous of your skillz. :thumbsup:

I just skimmed through the video and didn’t catch if you mentioned it but did you figure what your max SFPM would be?

I just skimmed through the video and didn’t catch if you mentioned it but did you figure what your max SFPM would be?
I haven’t figured that out, it can crank some rpm. I’ll have to figure out how to measure that and get back with you. I don’t run it much more than half speed

There’s a formula out there somewhere, IIRC if your drive wheel=pi then RPM=SFPM. With a 2” drive you may be 33% below rpm but don’t hold me to that.

Back