my basic 5 is magnetic?!?

I've got a basic 5 that will pick-up paper clips like a magnet. cool parlor trick I guess but a little strange I thought. Is this a modified INFI thing? Anyone else have this with any of their blade steels?

I just picked up a second basic 5 and it's NOT magnetic. Those 2 are the only modified INFI I have so I don't know which one is normal. None of my other knives are magnetic. Not my folders, not the fixed, not the stainless, not the 1095 (Which is the only true non-stainless material I have) not the D2, not the Talonite, not the INFI. When I put this basic 5 on it's spine on a table top and do the same with another blade next to the basic 5, the 5 spins and attaches to the other blade. Not a problem, I just noticed it when I was comparing the two 5's to see if I could get away with only sending one down to Dave Brown to get fitted for a new sheath and thought it was a little weird :confused:

Maybe it's a variant? :D

My basics are on the way back to me, I'll look at mine when they show up and see what they do.

Wierd:confused:

Did you buy the magnetic one second hand?
Maybe M-INFI can take a magnetic charge real easy?!?!?!

Heck, I'm stumpdified on this one!:p

I've always thought that both INFI and modified INFI were highly magnetic, but not in the sense about which you speak. Buuses seem to attract the metal in MONEY and send it all to Jerry. Eventually, yhte reverse polar effect thing kicks in and more INFI comes my way. It's been a circular attraction with the cycle repeating itself several times over.:rolleyes:

It is very common for any piece of steel to become magnatized in the machining process, especially if it has been on a magnetic based surface grinder.

If this is a problem for you, most any machine shop will have a demagnatizer. It is very simple to put the blade on it and correct the problem.

Dennis

Haven't heard of this one before, interesting... :)

As for the de-magnetizers, I know that Sears carries several from small pocket ones, all the way to full sized models for shop use.

If I'm not mistaken, there are lots of ways that a steel blade could have picked up a magnetic charge through whacking it into things, sharpening, or storing next to other magnetic things.

It's not a problem, though I'm glade I noticed so I don't accidentally screw up a computer disk that may be on my desk when I pull it out to play with while cruising BF.

Actually, this particular basic 5 I bought from 1WB's so my theory on the magnetic field is that there's so much INFI in Chuck's safe that there's some wierd, nuclear, INFI, radiation mutation thing going on in there:eek: Maybe I should get a geiger(sp?) counter and see if it's radioactive too!!!:cool: Chuck, your safe isn't glowing is it?

So that's it! I must have something metal in my hand that I don't know about, because I have real trouble putting Busses down :D

It must have been my "Magnetic Personality" :D

I hope all that INFI in my safes doesn't cause the axis of the earth to shift, but if it does I'm ready.;)

(damn, now my evil plot to take over the world is out)

"Nothing to read here, just move along to the next post"

I've just noticed that mine seems to attract more INFI.

Strange, but I can live with it...

Mike

Most objects that contain iron(Fe) if hit repeatedly will start aligning the magnetic poles. Bam it is magnetic!!

Heat works really well to scramable the poles, but will kill the little temper spirits in the blade.:D

Darkjedi - May the Force be with you

Back