My beat-up old knives

I'm borrowing my Mom's digital camera for a project this weekend. While I have it, I thought I'd show off my small collection of traditional folders I've accumulated throughout the years. Several have been inexpertly sharpened by previous owners. Most have been used hard.
(Click on the thumbnails for larger images.)

Lets get the beaters out of the way first:

This is a mystery knife. No markings, really beat up. I don't know where I got it from. It's a big 'ol slipjoint, and is still really sharp. Looks like a tackle box knife.

This is an old beat-up Old Timer liner-lock. I don't remember where I got this one either, but it still cuts great. It has a big, thin blade.

Here's an old Buck with a marlin spike.

A little Case pen knife.

This Old Timer was my Grandpa's knife (Dad's Dad).

This Camillus was another Grandpa's knife (Dad's Step-Dad).

This is a neat little Kershaw my parents got me years ago. Scrimshawed mammoth ivory.

Here's the knife my Dad bought when he was 17 (1955). It's an old Western knife. The bone and shield have been worn smooth, but it still shaves hair off my arm!

Finally here's my little Case Russlock. This is the knife that I actually use the most. The others (besides the beaters) are too valuable to me!

That first one is probably a 1960s vintage Queen folding hunter. It looks like it has Winterbottom handles, are they bone or delrin? Lots of Queen knives from that period were marked with only a blade etch, no tang stamp.

There is a special feel to knives that have been passed down. I just discovered a stockman that was in a box of my dads things.
The knife is marked Joseph Rodgers and Sheffield England. I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for the pics.

A fine collection of knives old and new!.:thumbup:

BTW, Does your Dad recall what he paid for that fine vintage Western folding hunter?. I'd be curious to know.

Thanks for the comments!

That first one is probably a 1960s vintage Queen folding hunter. It looks like it has Winterbottom handles, are they bone or delrin? Lots of Queen knives from that period were marked with only a blade etch, no tang stamp.

As for the first one-- I'm not sure what delrin is, but I really can't tell if the handle scales are bone or not. I don't see any pores under a small magnifying glass

A fine collection of knives old and new!.:thumbup:

BTW, Does your Dad recall what he paid for that fine vintage Western folding hunter?. I'd be curious to know.

My Dad gave me a little note with the Western. He says he bought it for $3.50. (What a deal!)

.. My Dad gave me a little note with the Western. He says he bought it for $3.50. (What a deal!)

$3.50 WOW!. :eek:.. For a large folding hunter with nicely jigged bone scales and two blades of good old carbon steel made right here in America... Sweet.:thumbup:

BTW, Derlin is basically a very hard plastic made to look like bone or Winterbottom Bone in this case.

Back