My Blade Show ER Report

I'd like to thank Frank for the tasty espresso and for patiently answering my many, many questions. ER had a top-notch display area with plenty of room to look and touch the knives. I was very impressed with quality of the Extrema Ratio knives. It is clear that a lot of thought went into each knife in the ER line. For example, the basic black handles and sheaths on the ER fixed blade knives can be replaced with accessory handles and sheaths in green (not OD) and white (think snow). No doubt this is geared toward soldiers but I think it is just cool to be able to change the ER knife's color scheme to match the season.

After all that looking and fondling what did I buy? I was fortunate enough to get a Col Moschin (it was a very tough choice over the Harpoon). I haven't used it yet but it is beautifully made and it looks quite at home sitting beside the slightly larger and heavier Chris Reeve Green Beret knife (heresy, I know).

I also picked up the awesome Fulcrum IID folder. This is a knife that delivers very robust construction while still maintaining a reasonable weight for pocket or belt carry. I have been carrying my Fulcrum in the optional belt sheath since Saturday and I am very happy with it. Of course a few days isn't long enough to really test out a new knife and I will be posting a more detailed report in the future but the Fulcrum has a few features that I already appreciate. The first is the very positive closing detent. The opening is smooth as glass but it takes deliberate and steady thumb pressure to move the blade from the closed position. The second feature is the safety lock. The user has the option of locking the knife either open or closed. The locking mechanism is simple, fast, and entirely optional. As a result of these two safety features this is a big folder that I would have NO qualms about carrying clipped to my pocket or even clipped directly to some outer garment or gear. I do prefer to carry a large folder such as the Fulcrum II in a belt sheath so I like the way the ER belt sheath does not expose any logos when it is worn. It can easily pass for a large multi-tool and this low-key look is well-suited to my purposes.

Blade was a blast and I am glad I had a chance to meet Frank and check out the ER knives.

Wow, sounds like your tastes run quite similarly to mine. A Fulcrum-II D did come home with me, and I keep seeing the Col Moschin in visions.

I'll get one sooner or later--those fixed blades are just too cool. I'm thinking about a T2000M too--I've a penchant for long blades. Who knows--there's always next Blade. :D

And yes, Frank's expresso is partially responsible for my continued uprightness at the show. I was getting pretty tired the last time I asked him for a bit o' the stuff, and I didn't collapse until after the show thanks to Extrema Ratio! That in and of itself is a feat worthy of mention.

I see a pattern emerging. I am also taken with the Fulcrum IID and Col Moschin. What's going on here? :)

Originally posted by Boink
I see a pattern emerging. I am also taken with the Fulcrum IID and Col Moschin. What's going on here? :)

We just have good taste, mate. ;) :footinmou

Back