My buddy: “I have a SAK I found in the attic for you”

Lee D

BANNED
Ok, so it’s not a SAK (I’m not sure why he thought it was lol). but it’s cool nonetheless. I graciously accepted it, it’s something I’ve never owned, and I’m currently cleaning it up so I can give it a try. It might pair nicely with a Vic of my choice👍
Any idea on possible age? It appears to be well made, and there’s no wobble/play in any direction.

Last edited:
I had one of these back in the day, the Schrade Tough Chip. A mini leatherman, of sorts I suppose.

It was handy, but for the life of me, I can't figure out whatever became of it. I liked the scissors! Much sturdier than the SAK classic, the other little scissors I liked to use.

I still have, and just located, the original belt sheath that came with this little tool. PM me your mailing address if you would like me to send it to you!

Oh snap! It was the first place I looked and it is dirty! I better clean this thing up!

Lee. you can still have the sheath if you want it! I don't think I have ever used it. It would be very unobtrusive worn on the belt I would imagine.

I carried one of those for years... They're pretty solid. I think my dad still has it and uses it in the garden to trim plants.

I'll get that sheath in the mail tomorrow!

I remember that Leathermans were kind of the new hotness and I think maybe these were designed to capitalize on that.

I hope that VIc Farmer finds a good home! Bladeforums is a pretty nice community to be a part of. :thumbsup:

I called Schrade this afternoon to ask about the country of manufacture, and was pleased to find out all the Tough series multi-tools were made in the USA before they discontinued them (leave it to the internet to mislead a fella).
Yes it’s marked “USA” on it, but the “experts” on the ‘net had me questioning if that meant a darn thing.

He may have called it by the wrong name, but still a pretty cool gift. Sounds like you have a good friend. I remember having a larger version of the Tough-tool years ago. They were actually pretty decent. But I don't think I had that version.

He may have called it by the wrong name, but still a pretty cool gift. Sounds like you have a good friend. I remember having a larger version of the Tough-tool years ago. They were actually pretty decent. But I think I had that version.
He is…he saw a multi tool and automatically thought of me. lol
The theory is that either the previous owner or someone working in the attic sat it down and then forgot it. It looks like the scissors were the only thing whoever owned it used, so after a good sharpening it’s a pretty handy little tool in excellent condition.

It doesn’t have the finesse the scissors on a SAK have, but they’re beefier and will now zip thru stuff that a SAK would struggle with. With the sheath K Kiteman72 generously sent me, it has been on my belt all morning completely unnoticed…a must for me, I hate bulky stuff in my pockets and on my belt.

Last edited:
I had a tough chip and liked the idea but the scissors didn't cut the best.
I eventually gave it away.
It was a nice little tool overall though.
I'm sure mine just wasn't the best example.
I had a tough tool as well and found the quality to be pretty good but I just didn't fall in love with it so I gave it to my brother.

Schrade definitely had an interesting take on multitools, Buck did as well and I'm looking to acquire a Bucktool to try out.

It sounds like the scissors/shears were hit and miss, but after a good sharpening, these will trim a nose hair (not quite as well as the scissors on a SAK tho), as well as easily cut cereal boxes, denim, and our local paper. Not a page, more like 20 at the same time.
All I used was a ceramic spyderco medium/fine stone to sharpen it, and it has surprised me how small, but useful it still is. Not to mention that it has the minimal tools I feel are a must have…the ones that get used. I only wish the blade was larger.

Last edited:
Schrade definitely had an interesting take on multitools, Buck did as well and I'm looking to acquire a Bucktool to try out.
I was in the market for a Buck multi tool a couple years back but gave up because they were selling for more than I was willing to pay, and I already owned my ST300. A Buck would have probably ended up in a pack just like my LM. I’ve never liked carrying a multi tool on my belt.

Last edited:
I was in the market for a Buck multi tool a couple years back but gave up because they were selling for more than I was willing to pay, and I already owned my ST300. A Buck would have probably ended up in a pack just like my LM. I’ve never liked carrying a multi tool on my belt.
I used to carry one on my belt daily, but now it's just at work.
Off work I carry a little Sebertool m4 in my pocket.

Back