My Busse Grail - HG55

The best model busse ever made. Some awesome HG55s in this thread. I'd like to get in with the bombproof tip and strip it
5YGYvU8.jpg

Hmmm.... wonder if there was ever a forsaken design for this?

These certainly are bad*** blades.

Awesome pics Pete, do you have any overhead pics of that blade tip? I'm curious as to how thick and bomb proof it might be. I really like the one you had Tim go over, well done. :thumbsup:

Pics are a little deceptive because the tip is distally tapered and, in addition, swedged on top...

so it looks rather svelte and more lithe than it is in reality...

but it is VERY SUBSTANTIAL in reality...

design genius at it's finest...thanks Jerry!

detail shot from above showing the great swedging!

h0Y4yCJ.jpg

thickness near the very tip end of the tip just before the vanishing point to nothingness!

qgU7Swz.jpg

what I'd call the "working girth" on the flat near the tip...it's where you'd likely bury up to when prying a door jamb or crate. It pretty quickly works up to a full 1/4" a little more aft of that point...GOOD STUFF for what it's designed for!

Up0Zpaz.jpg

Thanks Pete for the very informative and detailed description and pics of the HG55. It has a certain flow to it that I really like, not sure just what it is but it kind of reminds me of a #1 ish fighter type knife.

Doug

Thanks Pete for the very informative and detailed description and pics of the HG55. It has a certain flow to it that I really like, not sure just what it is but it kind of reminds me of a #1 ish fighter type knife.

Doug

You're welcome.

A fighter, for sure. The upswept tip has been described to me by a friend of mine @ Ft. Campbell as being ideal for quietly dispatching sentries and such. Nice to know...but I've never been the operator type, however I like the style.

At the same time it has a utility potential there, too. Especially with the bombproof tip like what bubbaskyjacker bubbaskyjacker should be getting any minute now :D . It most definitely could be called upon to breach doors, shuttered windows, cargo crates, etc. The squared off butt can be used to hammer, or more likely, to be hammered upon and be driven into something to bust open like a wedge-- another built in use of the distally tapered tip & swedging. It'll easily pierce the target, to get a foothold, and then use the brute mechanical advantage of the thicker flats to force it apart...pure genius.

The handle is kinda coffin shaped, sorta triangular in 3 dimensions but with the familiar Busse couple of palm swells and it makes for very effective draw from a sheath and a secure locked in fore-ward grip. The shape lends itself to a multitude of holds, reverse & normal. You don't have to commit to any single grip-- very flexible.

It has a relatively small footprint compared to other Busse. It is quite short in profile from spine to edge. So it would pack with other soldier kit pretty economically.

The washboard CBT and fuller, of course, is the most striking visual element. Once again, it seems to me it would cut down on resistance with piercing & withdrawing. There's small, full length CBT. Large full length CBT. And combo CBT/bombproof tip. Note the different fuller size also in the pic below.

The stock is quite thick along the midline, and I found my edge too obtuse for my <mainly> slicing usage so I dropped the edge a lot. Freehand I'd say it's ca. 15 dps. I don't usually measure it too much, I just take it's to where it's scary sharp to my fingertips. And it took me more than a minute :rolleyes: on this particular model of MO 55. I had to hog off a good amt. of INFI on the bombproof tip and I wore my DMT diamond plate nearly smooth doing it.

kSpaler.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived - as thought it’s a monster ha ha ha , it’s about 30-40 percent bigger than it looks in the interweb.

As PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne stated it’s a fighter, pure beastly overbuilt fighter.

Pics tomorrow.

Now that I have it in hand I’d love to see a Mini EDC version!!

Last edited:
Here she is !!! Slightly used , which I prefer cause I have never used a new Busse that I have bought. Or could always rattle can her back to new. The joy of Camo !! sharpened at some point in her life, not quite centered but after some abuse I’ll shipper her off for spa treatment or to @AZTimT to get tuned up and centered, maybe stripped Nekkid :eek:356720AF-F98F-4AD1-ACE2-BF3A0CD79A72.jpeg CD0AD64D-A6CD-44C2-86A3-748B57FA9E8B.jpeg 270B5552-1B53-42EA-B3DC-13003E317C09.jpeg 95B6763C-76C3-43AB-A664-40E5FE54A9FB.jpeg 1A59572D-4977-40C9-9175-627BB3AD614F.jpeg

Congrats on the score! I almost sold and/or traded my comp HG55...glad I did not...

I do miss the FFG DCBB and the LE...kept the bomb proof comp though! I would have rather kept the FFG over the LE, although it was instrumental in a pretty epic trade deal for me...

LE is super nice, for sure...

I no longer have any LE's...with the tiger hide that is...too beautiful and expensive to use, is what I found out for myself...

C

I sure want one!
Every HOG should have a couple, IMHO.

One of the attractions to Busse for me is that Jerry cranks out models that are not only unique looking, but are very well thought out and designed. Simply put, Jerry's creating & cranking out models unlike anything anyone else is producing!

And the HG55 is pretty unique even in regard to the already unique BUSSE lineup.

The genius of it all sometimes isn't always apparent until using some of the models.

For instance, I found out the 55 is great at breaching when I used it and a deadblow hammer to demo a double door on my dutch barn. The squared-off pommel was a great target to pound on. In addition to the squareness-- note how it sticks out proud from the handle slabs to avoid damage to your scales. It was something I never thought twice about, until I <ab>used it in demolition mode, and then I was like "a-ha...eureka!" :D

So at first blush, your eyeballs tell you "pure fighter" when you look at the 55 ... and true, it is at heart I believe a fighting/sentry dispatching model ... but it does so much more...even more that I've discovered so far...but there's still time...LIFE's GOOD in BUSSE, USA!

Last edited:
Back