My Current guitar project.

I just took a stroll through your other guitar WIP. Very impressive! No other way to say it. The quality of your guitars/knives truly shows that you love what you do. You sir, are a true craftsman. I will get some pictures of that wood and email them to you today. I think you will like them. Keep up the astounding work!

I just took a stroll through your other guitar WIP. Very impressive! No other way to say it. The quality of your guitars/knives truly shows that you love what you do. You sir, are a true craftsman. I will get some pictures of that wood and email them to you today. I think you will like them. Keep up the astounding work!

Well, thank you for saying so. I try. ;)
Looking forward to the pics!

Well, I haven't gotten a lot done on the guitar, but here's some progress:

After bending the sides, the inside is sanded clean, then "kerfing" is glued to the edge that will be glued to the soundboard:

41211-4.jpg

41211-5.jpg

41211-6.jpg

41211-7.jpg

41211-8.jpg

41211-9.jpg

Then it's glued on:

41211-10.jpg

I've also installed the marker dots on the fret board at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th frets:

41211-11.jpg

41211-12.jpg

41211-13.jpg

Yesterday I got the sides glued to the top:

41311-1.jpg

And today I trimmed the sides down to the same level as the head and tail blocks. I used a chisel to remove most of the material, and used a sanding board to refine it.

41311-2.jpg

41311-3.jpg

41311-4.jpg

41311-5.jpg

41311-6.jpg

Next the kerfing is glued to the rim:

41311-7.jpg

Also got the back plates joined, and thicknessed:

41311-8.jpg

41311-9.jpg

41311-10.jpg

Got all the kerfing glued on:

41311-11.jpg

...and trimmed down flush with the sides with a chisel:

41311-12.jpg

...then refined with the sanding board:

41311-13.jpg

Now there's two important things to do which are easy to forget at this stage; making the cauls for clamping the bridge and fingerboard extension, and drilling the holes for the neck bolts. The holes go through the neck block, but because the sides go all the way around, they are invisible from the outside.

41311-14.jpg

41311-15.jpg

41311-16.jpg

Now back is set on the rim with the center seam aligned as closely as possible to the center line of the top, and the outline traced onto it:

41311-17.jpg

Then it's cut out:

41311-18.jpg

Now the cross-grain re-enforcing strip is glued over the centerline:

41311-19.jpg

While that's curing, I arch the back braces. I'm using spruce, though mahogany works well too.

41311-20.jpg

41311-21.jpg

Now the strip needs to be excavated for the braces:

41311-22.jpg

41311-23.jpg

41311-24.jpg

Two of them glued in:

41311-25.jpg

41311-26.jpg

Last night I got all the braces glued on:

41411-1.jpg

Showing the arch:

41411-2.jpg

This morning I carved the braces. First, scallop the ends:

41411-3.jpg

41411-4.jpg

41411-5.jpg

Then carve them into a more or less triangular cross section:

41411-6.jpg

41411-7.jpg

41411-8.jpg

Cleaned up with sandpaper:

41411-9.jpg

Now the back is set on the rims, again keeping the centerlines lined up, and the braces are marked for trimming to length, and the sides are marked for inletting the braces:

41411-10.jpg

41411-11.jpg

I used to use a razor saw and chisels to do the inletting, but the router with a small bit is so much better:

41411-12.jpg

41411-13.jpg

Trimming the braces. The outer line is the outside of the rim, the inner one is the inside of the rim, and is where the cut will actually be:

41411-14.jpg

41411-15.jpg

Trimming the crossgrain strip to length:

41411-16.jpg

41411-17.jpg

Once the back fits snugly, the outline is traced onto it:

41411-18.jpg

And it's cut out:

41411-19.jpg

A final shot of the inside, after a final vacuuming:

41411-20.jpg

Now glue is applied to the rim:

41411-21.jpg

And the head and tail blocks are clamped down:

41411-22.jpg

Then a looong rubber strip is used to apply pressure to the rest of the edge:

41411-23.jpg

41411-24.jpg

41411-25.jpg

And while the glue is curing, here's a picture I took of the moon last night ;)

41411-26.jpg

Now glue is applied to the rim:

41411-21.jpg

Nice build. Are you not worried about the bridge plate with the grain running side to side. Doesn't that increase the risk that the string tension will crack the bridge plate? Martin ran into that problem years ago if memory serves me.

MAN this is great stuff Phillip. I'm loving watching the process, and you explain it soooo well with all the pictures... it's just 'cool'!!!

Thanks for doing this for us!

Seriously, I love seeing your updates and it makes me want to build a guitar so bad every time! When I was a teenager if you asked me "what do you want to be when you grow up" I would have answered luthier... Now I just need to start saving up so I can buy the 40,000 clamps it takes :D

BTW - how hard was it to make the forms for the body? Maybe I'm totally wrong but that seems to be one of the more technical aspects of it to allow everything to come together properly... Ah! My wife would KILL me if I started a new project/hobby but this really makes me want to try!

Thanks again, brother, I really love your WIPs and that you do them so quickly and update them so often. I'm a big fan of WIPs but sometimes it's hard when they span months to years.

Nice build. Are you not worried about the bridge plate with the grain running side to side. Doesn't that increase the risk that the string tension will crack the bridge plate? Martin ran into that problem years ago if memory serves me.

I guess I'm not too worried, though it probably is something to pay attention to in the future. The strings on this one are going to be at an angle to match the saddle, so it should be ok. Thanks for pointing it out though. :)

MAN this is great stuff Phillip. I'm loving watching the process, and you explain it soooo well with all the pictures... it's just 'cool'!!!

Thanks for doing this for us!

You're welcome! Posting pics is half the fun. ;)

Seriously, I love seeing your updates and it makes me want to build a guitar so bad every time! When I was a teenager if you asked me "what do you want to be when you grow up" I would have answered luthier... Now I just need to start saving up so I can buy the 40,000 clamps it takes :D

BTW - how hard was it to make the forms for the body? Maybe I'm totally wrong but that seems to be one of the more technical aspects of it to allow everything to come together properly... Ah! My wife would KILL me if I started a new project/hobby but this really makes me want to try!

Thanks again, brother, I really love your WIPs and that you do them so quickly and update them so often. I'm a big fan of WIPs but sometimes it's hard when they span months to years.

The forms aren't hard to make. They take less than a day, and are well worth it. The one I used for this build needs some modifying though. I need to shape the ends to compensate for spring back; there was quite a bit on these sides.

I kind of have "tunnel vision" sometimes. When I'm working on a project, I don't like interruptions. Even for meals, and I like to eat. ;)

Back