My daughters first custom, the Cooper Mighty Mite

Richard

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
My daughter likes nice looking things, and she likes knives. So, I decided to get her something that covered both bases. She likes knive but does not know to much about them, shes learning though. I remember somebody here showing a knife they bought from Mike Cooper (aka L6Steel) and it just hit me as a really neat knife. After thinking about it, I thought it would make a neat gift and a really great first knife for my daughter. I spoke with Mike about it and decided on blue handles for it as that is one of her favorite colors. Mike asked if I wanted her name engraved on it, that turned out to be a nice touch and one that my daughter thought was really cool when she noticed it.

My wife and I each have knives from Mike with our names on them, now my daughter does, and Mike and I have discussed one for my son after Mike gets done with his show.

It was an easy choice to think of Mike for my daughters knife. I have dealt with him enough to know that he is very fair and a real pleasure to deal with. Basically an all around great person.

Thanks Mike, she loves the knife!!!

OpxFIDISA.dll

Rich, what a great giftt for your daughter.
There's no doubt about it Mike is a fine maker and one heck of a nice guy to deal with. I really like the knife he made for your daughter and having her name engraved is a nice touch. It also looks like his sheath work has become more refined. What a great looking package.

Congratz Rich's Daughter, and Mike I hope you have a wonderful show.

Mike is a good man,and makes some pretty sweet knives,as well.
Glad you got the knife,Rich. I know the USPS is a PITA :(

Keep up the good work,Mikebo,and good luck at your show.

-maurice

Thats a good point Phil, Mikes sheaths definately get better right along with his knives.

The leaves that border the top of the sheath are a nice touch.

I should also mention the hidden lanyard. This is done so that the knife can have a lanyard without having a lanyard hole showing. The hole is drilled in the handle under the scales. The scales then have a channels milled in them so that the lanyard comes right out the back. If my poor memory recalls right, I believe he said this is something that Alan Folts showed him....correct me if im wrong Mike. I will get a pic of the hidden lanyard in the next day or so as its kinda hard to explain.

I don't think I've ever had this big of a smile on my face in my life,Richard! I am so happy and proud that you and Stephanie like that knife!! Did you notice the slight dovetail on the bolsters and scales? I used to dovetail em at 45 degrees or more but have learned that subtle is much nicer than over done so I backed off to about 10 or 15 degrees.
Thanks for the kind words Phil, Mo,Tknife! Hearing things like this is the absolute best part of knife making!

tknife, the knife is pretty small. The blade is about 3 3/8" and the handle is 3 1/8". Its a beefy little knife which no doubt would stand up to anything you could think of. The handle is a secure 3 finger grip, with the lanyard actually acting like a handle extension. It is definately a great handle design, and being small does not seem to compromise its security at all. For my daughter, the grip fits her hand like a glove. Shes a bit timid about using knives as she never really has had much of a chance, but I think she will grow very comfortable with this one.

Had a few minutes today to get a decent pic of the knife. This one shows the 'hidden lanyard' set-up. The handles are removable should the lanyard ever need replacing.

OpxFIDISA.dll

Back