MY DOG ATE GLASS!!! i think!!

well a glass fell and i picked up the big pieces but when i got bock with th vacuum the do was standing there with a guilty look on her face!!! i fed her cotton balls and bread and some food but the vet is closed and i guess im just gonna have to wait this one out!! :(

Cotton balls? Never heard that before, how many did you feed the dog and what breed/age is said dog?

Wonder Bread went out of business, so get a loaf of cheapo White with lots of preservatives. Wonder Bread is the standard remedy for sharp pica as it clumps around it. Feed the dog as much dry bread as he wants. When he doesn't want any more feed him a few more slices with peanut butter on them.

You got most of the glass up and it was probably only a few slivers, if anything. If dog's teeth, lips, gums are not bleeding and do not have adhered glass he may not have eaten any of it. What was in the glass that might've attracted a dog? Dog might've looked guilty just because something broke, everyone was upset, and he thought he might be in trouble for something.

Dogs are TOUGH and their intestines are thick, wide, and straight. They can eat all sorts of crazy stuff that would kill a person. Dog will probably be fine.

thanks fot the concern!!!it was an empty bottle that the cat knocked over and i really dont know if she ate any...and if she did it was only like one piece the size of a dime! i fed her 5 cotton balls , a kaiser roll and a half a cup of dry food. im pretty sure she will be fine but was just really worried when it happened.. she is a 5 year old rott/pitt mix and weighs about 80 lbs.

Along time ago, I worked for a veterinary hospital fixing the x-ray equipment.

One day, we had a dog who was brought in acting very oddly. The dog did not want to be touched or anything. But, somehow, upon arriving at the hospital, the dog seemed to calm down and cooperate, the exact opposite reaction of most dogs coming to the vet. Based on symptoms, the doctor suspected an internal injury. The dog permitted a very careful lift onto the x-ray table. I was given the film cartridge to take into the dark room, open, remove the film, and run through the automatic deleloper machine. As I brought the film out and hung it up on the viewer, I said, "Doctor, I don't think this will be a very difficult case."

"Oh do you doctor Gollnick? I'll be the judge of that," as he switched on the viewer and everyone could see... a large kitchen knife clearly identifiable in the dog's gut.

"Ah ha! That's where that knife went!" shriked the wife.

"How are we going to get it out?" asked the husband.

"Doctor, I paged Dr. Robertson. He is on his way," I told the radiologist, Dr. Robertson being the small animal surgeon on duty at the time.

The dog honestly seemed to understand, maybe sensed the feelig of understanding in the room, and was now calm and permitted the children to pet him... gently.

The dog came through surgery like a champ and, once up again, seemed to conciously want to go around and thank everyone at the hospital who had helped out, even me and all I did was feed the film into the machine.

Anyway, the dog recovered quickly and completely and I started feeding that film into another machine, the x-ray copier, because we probably got 5000 requests from all over the world for copies of that film. And the knife? The family donate it to the School's museum of veterinary oddities.

So, if a dog can survive swallowing a 8" kitchen knife, it can survive a bit of glass too. Just keep a close eye on him.

My Dad's Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy (6 months) ate a 2' X 3' throw rug . . . intact. Somehow was able to suppress the gag reflex and ate the whole thing, I shit you not. Dawg couldn't shit out the throw rug, though. Was all squatting in the back yard, crying and miserable with a foot of filthy throw rug hanging out of his bung. My Grandma had to go out there with her gardening gloves and pull it out. Week before that he ate a 3' rubber plant . . . also intact. True story.

I have been told that Ridgebacks can climb trees, but this one could not. It was somewhat retarded.

My Dad's Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy (6 months) ate a 2' X 3' throw rug . . . intact. Somehow was able to suppress the gag reflex and ate the whole thing, I shit you not. Dawg couldn't shit out the throw rug, though. Was all squatting in the back yard, crying and miserable with a foot of filthy throw rug hanging out of his bung. My Grandma had to go out there with her gardening gloves and pull it out. Week before that he ate a 3' rubber plant . . . also intact. True story.

I have been told that Ridgebacks can climb trees, but this one could not. It was somewhat retarded.

My Ridgeback ate a few socks that I pulled out of her butt too! The worst was my Wife's pantyhose. The dog is crying and whining, I'm pulling, the pantyhose is stretching and then it came out with a snap and poop covered pantyhose slapped me across the face. Good thing I wear glasses!

if your dog starts showing signs of getting worse, or continuing issues, find an emergency veterenarian asap. otherwise, try what's been said, and i hope things turn out okay. Pets are awesome, they're just as much a family member as anyone. It sucks when they get hurt.

well a glass fell and i picked up the big pieces but when i got bock with th vacuum the do was standing there with a guilty look on her face!!! i fed her cotton balls and bread and some food but the vet is closed and i guess im just gonna have to wait this one out!! :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years ago my friend did T/V repairs at home. He was returning tubes when he discovered 2 small ones missing. The dog had a sheepish took also . Next am the dog passed a whole tube & small pieces of wire & glass.

Get to the vet anyhow. Good luck with man's best friend.

Uncle Alan a country lad

well its been over 24 hours snd she has made 3 good movements with no blood so i think she is ok!!! thanks for all the advice!!! :D

That's great to hear softrockrenegade. I had something similar happen with mine last year. I had been in my room eating some chicken. I stepped out momentarily and didn't close my door properly. I forget why I did, however when I returned I found my door open and dog at my plate. Immediately I took what I could out of her mouth but it looked like she had broken the bone and might have swallowed some.

I worried of the bone splintering and cutting her up. Called her vet and they asked how she looked. Didn't look or act like she was in pain. It was a wait and see approach. They had me monitor her poop and even take in a sample to see if there was any blood in there. After a couple of days she was in the clear.

For a while there I felt helpless, and for a long time after I felt stupid. I know it would have been an accident, but I don't think I could have forgiven myself if she had gotten hurt because of my mistake.

Wow. It sure is scarey when something like that happens to one of our animal family members, isn't it? Glad your dog is okay.

It is amazing the items that dogs will swallow that eventually come out the opposite end, often with a little pulling and tugging!

I was at a dog show in May and my dog's breeder had a dog swallow a leash. It also came out fully intact. I don't recall if there was assistance needed - but probably.

That kitchen knife incident that Gollick shared is one of the worst ones I have heard about.

When glass accidently falls and breaks in my kitchen, I immmediately order my 4 munchkins "Outside! Outside!" and they run out the doggie door. They aren't allowed back in until I have made sure I have gotten all the pieces up -and that sometimes mean I end up with a sliver in MY foot (Of course I am always barefoot in the house - but never pregnant).

Back