My Dream Khukuri Has Arrived!

Thanks, Bill.

1st pic: Somewhat decent view of the handle. The top half of the handle has a dragon carved into it, the bottom half has a vine design.

2nd pic: The right side of the khukuri. You can better make out the dragon's head, its right above my thumb. You can also see the engravings. From bolster to tip: the Nepali flag, the banner with "Nepal in its center, and the large bird.

3rd pic: Here is the left side of the khukuri. You can see the engraved dragon. As well done as it was, it deserves its very own side. Behind the cho is Sanu's cross, part of it is above my forearm, but you can't make it out.

4th pic: Here you can see the difference between the thickness of the handles by the sizes of the buttcaps. This khukuri's buttcap dwarfs the one on my 16.5" WWII.

5th pic: A side by side comparison of my two khuks. Here you can see how much thicker the handle is as well as how much larger the karda and chakma are.

Since Bill did a great job with close-up views of the engraving on another thread, I went for a more overall view so that everyone would know where the engraved images would be on what part of the khukuri.

Bob

Bob --- dream never end! you'll have another one sooner or later!

NEPAL H
cool.gif
!

When I first used it, I got a few small blisters. However, that is probably due to chopping chores being few and far between, which prevents me from developing a callus. I didn't experience any discomfort (other than the blisters on my one hand) from chopping with it.

Mohd, it will most likely be later for me. This khukuri is quite enough to satisfy me for awhile.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 09-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Big Bob (edited 09-08-2000).]

Will's post:
... Is the decorated handle comfortable to use? ...
Bob's post:
... got a few small blisters ... probably due to chopping chores being few and far between, which prevents me from developing a callus ...
As far as I know fully carved handle will somehow cause blisters more often compared to smooth type of handle. No doubt fully carved handle will improve hand grip but it will extensively cause course friction to our soft part of our palm especially at the upper part of it and the soft area around the thumb and index finger --- those are areas which normally blisters very fast.

IM2cO, fully carved handles are not meant for extensive or hard work or any sort of chores which needs very strong grips to the handles. I guess that's the main reason why some handles are carved at certain part such as near to the bolster or near to the buttcap or at the at the middle part only.

Will & Cliff --- I guess this issue can be included in your future knives test --- which of which is better --- fully carved handle or partially carved handle or smooth type of handle?

NEPAL H
cool.gif
!

One thing I could try next time is use a (relatively) looser grip. I remember someone talking about how a rocksteady grip caused more discomfort than a grip that was looser.

Bob

When framing, a loose grip on my hammer is far less fatiguing. The trick is to raise the hammer and then guide it onto the nailhead, not "crush" the nail by brute strength. When clearing brush with a machete along the riverbank the same principle allows me to work longer too. Why should it be different with a Khukuri? That flaired handle keeps you from accidently sharing the blade with your friends, the oval cross section helps orient it in the hand and all that's left is to settle down, relax and go with the rhythm.

Stephen

------------------
Micah 6:8. Well worth the attempt!

For those blades that I use..... I grind off that da---d ring and wrap the handle with Tennis grip tape, the stuff that looks and feels like leather. It took care of my problems in this area.
Dan

Agreed that a loose grip is far less fatiguing than a firm, tense grip; likewise wearing gloves when using khuks protects the hands from blisters &c. I like to hold the khuk handle quite high up, with my thumb & forefinger just impinging on the bolster. I find it less tiring, & I get more control over the blade.

One thing to be wary of, however, especially when clearing brush, briars or other springy stuff, or cutting downwards, is the blade twisting sideways after a misjudged cut - a problem which khuks are rather prone to in my experience, because of the hooked blade.

Anything whereby you're not in total control of the blade is a hazard; the sideways twist could potentially be very nasty indeed. When I started using khuks I had a couple of close shaves (no pun intended) after a sudden unexpected change in blade direction...

I no longer wear gloves, and keep a fairly firm grip on the handle at all times; furthermore, I make sure the grip isn't too wide & fat for my hand to wrap round it comfortably. It's very hard to keep control of a khuk whose handle is too big for your hand.

The surest way of avoiding sideways twist, of course, is to concentrate on what you're doing and make sure each blow goes where you want it to, with the edge presented to the target at the proper angle; particularly important when you're starting to get tired, and your attention may be starting to wander.
The mantra I mutter under my breath as I work is, "Cut - don't slash..."

Safe and happy khukery to all Forumites!

I would second the vote for bicycle gloves. They usually come with a leather palm for better grip and a gell insert that absorbs a lot of vibration.

If I wore gloves these would be my pick.

Will

Back