• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Ebay auction was halted

I've been selling off some of the less valuable items of my collection via Ebay and, I haven't had any problems until today.

For the first time ever -- and after over 100 Ebay transactions over the years -- I had an item taken down by Ebay. The message I received was that it was considered a counterfeit item.

The item is a United Cutlery Gil Hibben Double Shadow that I picked up in the 1990s. While I recall picking up the knife from a reputable knife retailer, I can accept the fact that it could be a fake.

How can I identify it as a fake?

Most likely some buyer or a competitor reported your item or ebays crazy algorithm pulled it, or it had a weird word in the description which raised flags. It doesn't mean that its fake at all.

^ I agree with the above; someone reported your listing.

Here is what NOT to do: Re-listing it exactly as it was!

Scrutinize the listing's verbiage and if you'd like just post the text of your in this thread to seek opinion as to what my have trigged the "eBay police". Do not post a link or the price or your eBay ID or whatever that can be construed as fouling the rules in here (leading sales to an unauthorized site). This is predicated on whether eBay just removed the listing and then gave you a chance to review & revise or they just obliterated your listing with no remnants left of it!

That happens to me a few times in the past. It's more likely the system took it down rather than been reported by someone.

I suspect it was reported, as I received notice a bidder retracted a bid the day before it was pulled.

I'd like to share the item description information, but unfortunately that disappeared with the listing. I'm unaware of retrieving it, as it doesn't show up in Sold, Active, or Unsold listings. I believe it's been vaporized.

It does seem like a weird one to fake. As is mentioned, this isn't a high-dollar knife -- I think current renditions sell for around $70. Unfortunately, no box or paperwork; I acquired this early in my collecting and at the time didn't recognize the importance of retaining that stuff.

When I received the notice, I wanted to contact ebay to contest it. But there's no information on any appeals process, and the email states not to contact them about it. It's sort of like, "Our decision has been made; get stuffed."

The message stated they won't be collecting any fees on it.

If I can verify it's a fake, I'll probably destroy it because I don't want to pass the problem on. But I don't want to do that if it is indeed real and has some genuine value.

I suspect it was reported, as I received notice a bidder retracted a bid the day before it was pulled.

I'd like to share the item description information, but unfortunately that disappeared with the listing. I'm unaware of retrieving it, as it doesn't show up in Sold, Active, or Unsold listings. I believe it's been vaporized.

It does seem like a weird one to fake. As is mentioned, this isn't a high-dollar knife -- I think current renditions sell for around $70. Unfortunately, no box or paperwork; I acquired this early in my collecting and at the time didn't recognize the importance of retaining that stuff.

When I received the notice, I wanted to contact ebay to contest it. But there's no information on any appeals process, and the email states not to contact them about it. It's sort of like, "Our decision has been made; get stuffed."

The message stated they won't be collecting any fees on it.

If I can verify it's a fake, I'll probably destroy it because I don't want to pass the problem on. But I don't want to do that if it is indeed real and has some genuine value.
It’s been a while since I listed on EBay. I was able to talk with a live person through calling PayPal and discuss some issues with an item I perchased. I suggest you try that that..no one would fake one of those things. Yours isn’t a fake! There is no money in someone faking them.. They are novelty items. Stress that when you chat with them ..

Possibly your retracted bidder was unsure, went on some Facebook group asking a questions and some "expert" called it a fake. Bidder retracts, reports it as fake and your auction gets pulled. Post any knife, real of fake on a Facebook group and at least one guy will step up and declare that something looks wrong.

You can certainly still call ebay's customer service to get to the bottom of it. Just don't say you are unsure if its fake or not like you did here lol

Back