My EDC Schrade C627 3rd Generation probably just saved my and my brother's lives...

G'day,
I consider myself fortunate to be making this post and I owe much of my survival to my small EDC Schrade C627 pocket knife I had in my pocket.. Last week I was driving my Land Rover Discovery on South Australia's Southern Eyre Peninsula when the furniture trailer I was towing had a tyre blow and combined with high winds it flipped over taking my Land Rover Discovery over with it, on the busy Lincoln Hwy.
I was fortunate not to collide with on coming B Double Trucks and cars as we landed across the Highway upside down. My passenger, my brother and I were left suspended upside down with our seat belts "locked" across our throats and chest for some 25 minutes, making for a most uncomfortable if not life threatening situation. The cabin had squashed and our doors could not be opened and we were covered in splintered glass diesel and oil etc and with the motor still running for a period I thought we could both be Southern Fried Chickens....I could not turn or reach the ignition switch nor my pocket knife as my right hand had gone out through the front windscreen in the roll over and I was certain it was bleeding from the glass but could not see it..my brother who is a retired Australian Army Major and thinks quickly, having several tours of Vietnam and having fallen out of a helicopter while lifting their artillery gun..but thats another story...reached into my left pocket and retrieved my small Schrade and managed to cut both our seat belts which relieved the considerable seat belt pressure even if it meant we fell on our heads in the upturned cabin...I believe I would have been choked by it, as the first blokes on the scene gave incorrect details or their phone message was misunderstood, to SES.. State Emergency Services,Ambos and Police ,and they all went to the adjacent town of Cleve instead of near Cowell where we were ,meaning a 25 minute delay in getting out...I do remember my brother whispering to me in a calming voice....this is another fine mess you've got me into.. Stanley!.......
My sharp little USA Schrade sliced through both seat belts easily.....in Australia Authorities are trying to stamp out carry of even small pocket knives and regard a knife in your vehicle the same as personal carry and in Victoria where I live its $1000 on the spot fine or $2000 if you are near Licenced Premises..Hotels etc....
Notwithstanding these ill informed, ignorant new Laws designed by pathetic Politicians to get the easy, Law and Order votes I will continue to carry my trusty little Schrade when travelling.....this was my first accident in 48 years of driving and saved this "douzy" till last......just superficial lacerations and bruising..could have been much worse...the Police were shaking their heads in disbelief after they got us out safely.. I told them this is how I generally rotate/change my tyres..
One of the first on the scene took some photos of our upturned vehicle still attached to the upturned trailer and just emailed them to me..I will try to post.......I lost most of my furniture and personal gear in my vehicle but they can all be replaced..lives can't.....thank you USA Schrade for making a knife which did not fail us when most needed.....Hoo Roo.

Last edited:
P1010001.jpgIMG_0019.jpgIMG_0015.jpgLand Rover Discovery Series 2 Upgrade Model 004.jpg

My trusty USA Schrade C627. Accident photos plus my vehicle just before I left for the Interstate trip....

A fortunate outcome to an otherwise horrible story, and a lesson for us all. Glad you're OK!

Wow... glad you made it through that one. Indeed a fortunate outcome.

Sorry to hear about your car and stuff, but we are all glad that you and your brother made it through in one piece!

Thanks for sharing your experience Larry. Glad all came out of it safely.

Hopefully everyone is OK, and the vehicle is covered by insurance.

Bloody hell Larry ,you blokes were lucky.
Glade to here you are both ok.

Wow, Larry, that is some accident! Glad you and brother are okay. Looks like the roof did hold up well in the rear.

Glad to hear you and your mates are doing well. That is one scary incident. I was going to post a quick note how I took my SW7S Switch-it out of the drawer for a 3wk EDC while traveling and what a great job it did. I'm normally a SAK guy for EDC but the Schrade worked well. Of course, that was nothing compared to your experience. USA Schrades still getting it done. Thanks for dharing Larry. Keep fighting the politicians. Too, many folks here don't see where I'm afraid the gov wants to take us.Hopefully it is not too late.

A couple of lucky blokes there..
knives are tools and bloody handy ones at that... I love Australia but it is an anal nanny state when it comes to pocket knives.
I carry one nearly every day because just like seat belts you never know when you may need one..

Glad you fellas are OK

cheers

Interesting story. I also always have a Schrade (a single bladed lock back) in my pocket and have found it useful many times. I us it daily as an extension of my hand.

I am an American, and I do not face quite the restrictions you allude to. I hope that Australia knife rights groups pick up on your story and publicize it. I have been a classroom schoolteacher, and I know the suspicion faced by people who carry even the smallest knife discreetly. I hope people see your story and pay attention to it.

what kind of edc is yours? mine is a good ole LB 7 which fits nicely in my back pocket next to my wallet. whenever i go out without it i invariably end up needing it (damn that Murphy fella).
Interesting story. I also always have a Schrade (a single bladed lock back) in my pocket and have found it useful many times. I us it daily as an extension of my hand.

I am an American, and I do not face quite the restrictions you allude to. I hope that Australia knife rights groups pick up on your story and publicize it. I have been a classroom schoolteacher, and I know the suspicion faced by people who carry even the smallest knife discreetly. I hope people see your story and pay attention to it.

Larry --

Remarkable accident story
'Rescued' by a little 'ole 3rd Gen C627 "And the small shall become Mighty"
We're lucky to have you around Congrats to you and your Brother!!!

-- Howie

Back