My Face HURTS:(

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Well after putting it off for like a decade, I finally got my impacted wisdom teeth extracted. Well, as "wise" as one can be who puts off such things:p

The two upper ones were yanked out, but the bottom ones were sitting on the nerve and would have risked damage and numbness. Instead, they ground them down so that the gums can just grow over the root. If you've ever seen a tree service grind a stump...something like that;)

So now I'll stuck at home with a dull yet very persistent ache from my eyeballs to my chin. On top of that my daughter is home with a 103 degree fever...which she seems to have passsed on to my wife, AND my mother-in-law is coming for a visit this coming weekend.

lol and extra smoke you can muster would be greatly appreciated, friends.
;)

Hope you feel better soon, Steely. I had my wisdom teeth "pried" out under general anesthesia when I was 18......I can still remember the unpleasantness of the experience after waking up. Hopefully, your mother-in-law's visit will give you some personal free time to just rest and heal.

Hope you feel better soon. Maybe your mother-in-law wil take your mind off of the pain in your face.

Thanks for the kind words, Shaggy. The pain pills are working and taking the edge off a bit, so that's a good.

They actually didnt put me under for this one...which scared the hell out of me. I was totally on board with being unconscious. However, the oral surgeon said that i was going to use a strong sedative via an IV then use super Novocaine. I thought I might be super loopy and totally conscious while they took the 198th century wood working tools to my face...nope:) That sedative dropped me into a snoring slumber in less than 45 seconds.

My jaw does feel like it was propped open with a jack, and the back 3" of my mouth resemble hamburger. But my doc was so super nice. He even persoanlly gave me a call to see how i was feeling. Not the receptionist. Not the nurse. I was really impressed.

Anyway, I'll feel better in a couple days. My little girl appears to be well enough go to daycare, and my wife is going to work for the whole day. Soooo, 8 hours of uninterrupted napping, movies, and xbox? I'll take it:)

They say all bad things come in threes, looks like you hit three hard, boom boom boom. With any luck something good will soon follow.

I had mine taken out while I was stationed in Turkey. No dentists in my little Air Force outpost, sooo ... off to Ankara to a US Army dentist. He was good. Minimal anesthetic because I don't react well to novocaine but I love pain. :( One of them broke into slivers as he removed it so he fished around for awhile till he got all the pieces.

He did such a good job that the next day I was good as new, and no pain at all. I even got to do a little sightseeing. :thumbup:

i lost all 4 one week back in the early 70's. we were going up north for 6 mo. on our icebreaker & i had to pass a medical & dental exam. passed the medical. dentist said i needed a few fillings and my wisdom teeth out. spent all week at the district USCG dentist. they saved the best for last & took out all 4 wisdoms at once at the end of the week. hope you recover faster than i did. best of luck.

Wow guys. Some of y'all had it way rougher than I did:eek:
I do appreciate the well wishes. I'm trying to chill out today, but i have a few work related things to do. Also, the antibiotics they prescribed my daughter are too nasty for her to take. It wasn't her primary doctor who called them in. Even with flavoring, she spits them out, and this is coming from a toddler who is very, very good at taking medicine.
Sooooo, I might be making the trip to the pharmacy to pick up something she can tolerate. Also, my wife feels like death warmed over, so I might try to find her a little something to make her feel better. Flowers or something.

Once again, thanks for the well wishes and letting me complain a bit. Lol with my wife and litte girl down and out, I'm not getting the sympathy I had been promised;)

Not surprised, cause its KILLING me. :p

Hope that you recover soon. I'm thinking about removing my wisdom teeth and its not something I look forward to.

Not surprised, cause its KILLING me. :p

Hope that you recover soon. I'm thinking about removing my wisdom teeth and its not something I look forward to.

LOL, my wife got me even worse that that. I asked her is she still loved me even if I had the fat puffy face of Val Kilmer circa 2012. She said she loved me even though I had the fat puffy face of the thing that ATE Val Kilmer circa 2012:p

As for having them removed. The procedure was easy peasy. It would have been even easier if they had been able to totally remove the bottom ones. However, the Doc said there was too much of a risk of permanent nerve damage resulting numb lips and/or slurred speech. As I make my living talking, I don't want that. He said that even through they bored out the crown of the lower ones, I might have to chance having the rest removed later down the road. However, he said that research shows that the roots without crowns tend to float UP over time. So removal at a later date might have a lot less risk involved.

All and all, I feel pretty good today. I'm puffy, but 3 Advil every 4 or 5 hours is keeping the pain down just fine. I take one of my Oxy's to help me sleep so that when I toss and turn I don't wake myself up by banging my jaw on my arm or something. My diet is still mostly off brand Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes. Anything with any texture or spice to it is still just a tad too much for my tender gums:eek: Who knows, I might even be able to drop a little bit of my "Christmas Cookie" weight;)

Jake, out man! I had my wisdom teeth out in January or early Febuary of 2008. Had to make 2 visits do to finances. It was worth it though, I had not eaten anything but soft food in over 4 months. 2 weeks after, I was on normal food again after over 5 months, 1+ months of being on a liquid diet. Had gause packed in my gums for 2 weeks. The whole were they extracted my top left wisdom tooth and the mollor next to it was Huge! Plus the hole in my lower left jaw from where they had to cut the tooth and some bone out. Talk about discomfort and pain! . . . I sympathize man.

You'll be just fine, man. Pain is better than nothing at all, according to a certain Canadian heavy metal band :) I feel your pain, though, empathetically speaking, anyway.... Must have been one heck of a doctor to check up on you personally, nice stuff :) . I had the 'thinking' teeth removed too, put me under with laughing gas, never had so much fun before in my life, every time they opened their mouthes, I just giggled like a schoolgirl, every time. Funny....
Well it'll heal Jake, especially with a doctor as meticulous as yours, hope you and yours are doing great, and peace.
David

Last edited:
Also, the antibiotics they prescribed my daughter are too nasty for her to take. It wasn't her primary doctor who called them in. Even with flavoring, she spits them out, and this is coming from a toddler who is very, very good at taking medicine.
[ ... ]. Also, my wife feels like death warmed over, so I might try to find her a little something to make her feel better. Flowers or something.

Ice cream! [...] and ice cream! :)

I hope you all feel all better soon:)
We've been bouncing around several non-flu throat and ear canal viruses since before Christmas.

It's 65 out now, 20 by midnight, loony toon weather fer sure.

:)
Mark

Lol tell me about it, Mark.
My wife works for the public school system, my daughter goes to daycare, and both ladies in my office have school age kids who go to different schools (meaning different bugs being passed around).

Like yourself, the weather around here is crazy stupid. It was about 67 this morning. It's going to be TEN tomorrow morning! :eek:

Thanks again, y'all. I ate some super soft ravioli for dinner. Well, i bit into it for taste then swallowed it whole...but its progress;)

Oh and Esav, the ice cream was a hit on both fronts;) felt great on my wife's throat and totally masked that nasty chalky antibiotic for my daughter. Much appreciated for the advice:)

Jake, when I had my tonsils out, my parents were very upfront about the ordeal. They said it wouldn't be fun, and my throat would hurt too much to eat solid food for a while.

So I could have all the ice cream and jello I wanted. :D

Hey Jake,
Hope everyone's feeling a lot better today.

HA! Plague Vectors ye Says! Me wife works at a daycare, subs in the K-5, my youngest daughter is a Junior in HS and oldest daughter up at the University. So I pretty much have EVERY VIRUS in the world trying to wiggle into my world on the back of some stray booger:)

Mark

Back