My favorite All-Time Benchmade: The 940

RamZar

Gold Member
I got my first one in August 2005 with black partially-serrated blade, green aluminum handle and 154CM blade. In 2016 I got two more both with G-10!

Top to Bottom:

1. 940SBK 154CM Green Aluminum
  2. 940BK-600 NRA 154CM Gray Aluminum
  3. 940SBK-1101 S30V Black Aluminum
  4. 940 S30V Green Aluminum
  5. 940-1 S90V CF
  6. 940-2 S30V Black G-10
  7. 940-1501 20CV Blue/Black G-10

713018A7-FFB0-4B5F-8165-4967923110D5_zps01ieyzrj.jpg

AF57D56D-E088-4C5E-816F-7F62F54C6339_zpsfcqo1had.jpg

You sure like your collections! I enjoy the photos. The 940 is the best!

I didn't realize how much the green color of the handle on my 940SBK from August 2005 has faded (first one from the top in the pictures) until I saw it in this picture compared to my 940 from 2013 which is brand new in the box (fourth one from the top in the pictures).

A most excellent line up RZ!!!
My absolute fave also!! I have ~ 20 Benchmades, all bad ass, but the 940 is the one for me!!
Joe

How badly do you want the green standoffs on your 940-2? Would you prefer blue ones on it?

Little mix and match and this one finds its way into my pocket the most.

c98f83b714f5703e09626aaef0fba0d0.jpg

Which 940 do you like the most?

Miso

I've thought about it but really don't have a clear favorite.

For blade steel you can't beat S90V and 20CV.

For grip texture the 940-1501 slightly over the 940-2.

For pure lightest weight 940-1.

For the price 940-2.

Love the 940, it's the knife I've had in my pocket most often since getting into knives about five years ago.:thumbup:

Despite the pivot on my 940 only having the settings too loose or too tight, I love this knife. I have the green one. This knife along with the 710 are just songreat and pocketable. Some of Benchmades best offerings.

Not just my favorite Benchmade, my favorite folder that I own.
NTiRPyw.jpg

Last edited:
I carry a 940-2 every day with the silver deep pocket clip. I always liked the knife but only recently purchased when this configuration came out. It handles very well for me, is svelte in the pocket, and the steel is impressive! Ok, I'm easily impressed, the new steels have yet to find their way into my pocket.

Used it to fabricate a heavy box for shipping a Beretta shotgun today. Amazed at how sharp it stayed after a a number of cuts. Touched up with the fine diamond and finished short of fine ceramic. I've heard others say they get better results by not taking it to finer stones. No idea if true for S30V (doesn't make much sense for a steel that hard) but the farmer in me is happy to just keep my knife sharp and in my pocket. So I'm stopping with the gray stones on the spyderco sharpener and getting good results so far, after using the diamond rods. I'm using it, a lot. I thought about a sebenza, and would have purchased had I felt like the value was there. In the end, I was buying a using knife -- for every day consistent use -- and the 940-2 seemed like a great value compared to other knives on the market.

Cool collection RamZar.

RamZar. Very nice collection and thanks for sharing the photos. They are great knives. I have 2 940's (an old green one and new 940-1 CF), but it looks like some of yours have had considerably more use than mine. Can you say what it is that makes this model your favorite? Anything specific that really stands out for you?

Again, really enjoyed seeing your collection. --Larry

RamZar. Very nice collection and thanks for sharing the photos. They are great knives. I have 2 940's (an old green one and new 940-1 CF), but it looks like some of yours have had considerably more use than mine. Can you say what it is that makes this model your favorite? Anything specific that really stands out for you?

Again, really enjoyed seeing your collection. --Larry

In all variations, the 940 is slim, trim (when closed it has a very narrow width and thin handles) and light (2.4-2.9 ounces) which makes for an effortless EDC. You get plenty of slicing edge and with the modified Wharnie good for EDC tasks. It's about the only folder with a blade length of more than 3.25 inches that I carry at times. If they ever came out with a 940 Mini with a 2.99" blade I'd carry that a lot more.

Ramzar,
Thanks for your thoughts. Always good to find that knife that is perfect for you. Knives are a very individual thing, and part of the fun of collecting is searching for that "just right" knife.

--Larry

I did not realize how different the handles were between the 940-2 and the 940-1501.

Ramzar,
Thanks for your thoughts. Always good to find that knife that is perfect for you. Knives are a very individual thing, and part of the fun of collecting is searching for that "just right" knife.

--Larry

Fun Larry??? It the hunt gets expensive!!!!! But you're right......so much fun!!
[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
Joe

Back