My Favorite Spydie Ad

I'm not really a commercial kind of guy, but I do enjoy a good ad now and then. It does take creativity to get folk's attention and even though a lot of ads are well, "commercial," in a way they can still often be considered "artistic."

One of favorite ads was the old Colt one for the stainless Series '80 Government Model .45 pistol. The magazine ad showed one stuck in the racks of a dishwasher! It got a laugh from me.

And now for my favorite Spyderco ad. It is fairly recent, and I hope I remember how it goes:

The magazine print ad showed a bunch of Spydies with their blades partially opened, perched on a tree as though they were birds.

"After all these years, they (we?) are still watching out for you."

I loved it!

Anyone else love it? And were there any larger size posters made of this piece?

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

Yeah
That is a cool ad. One of my favorites too. I remember the ads in the Law Enforcement magazines in the 80s for S&W. "When your handgun is your only partner you want it to be a Smith."

------------------
He who sheds blood with me is my brother. Shakespeare Henry V I used to be disgusted .Now I am just amused....I feel much better now that I have given up all hope

If only Spyderco would advertise in our country
frown.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The General:
If only Spyderco would advertise in our country
frown.gif

</font>

Yup. No Spyderco commercials in Hawaii, also.
frown.gif

I've really been enjoying the Spyderco ads in the few old magazines I bought last week. I still am stunned by the myriad colors of FRN displayed in several. Every time I see them, I keep comin back to the Calypso Jr Ltwt, and why it shouldn't be offered in many colors, to take advantage of the name, rather than having folks wonder why a knife is named for a party/dance. (Yeah, I'm stubborn and keep trying)

Frankly, I enjoy many of the older ads better than what is in the mags today, and, even, believe that the magazines were overall better too. At least 10 years ago, somebody who could spell was proofreading and editing, unlike today. Anybody ever tried counting the goofs in a KI issue? Your talking 3 figures.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Well, you'll find Spyderco Ads in Blade Magazine and Tactical Knives!! My favourite ad is the Spydewrench featuring a Velociraptor's eye!!
cool.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

Originally posted by samo:
Well, you'll find Spyderco Ads in Blade Magazine and Tactical Knives!! My favourite ad is the Spydewrench featuring a Velociraptor's eye!!
cool.gif

Two mags we don't get over here as well
frown.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back