My favorite XL CS folder...

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Bapple, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Bapple

Bapple Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The Recon 1 Clip Point XL. This one I bought on the exchange for $30, it had some wear on the finish, so I stripped the coating off using steel wool. Reveals a beautiful stonewash finish. I also finished the lockbar as well to match. Looks better than a brand new one IMO.

What makes the Clip point XL my favorite is the flat ground blade. No other version of the Recon 1 has a flat ground blade, in any size Recon. This allows the edge to be ground all the way back to the sharpening notch in the blade. I dont really like how in the others the edge stops 2-3mm before the sharpening notch. Maybe just being picky as this has no affect on performance, just an aesthetic thing for me I guess.

Here are a few pics I took of the stripped and sharpened Recon 1 XL Clip Point, one sweet blade!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    Good job on stripping the finish.

However it is a Clip-Point, not a Spear-Point.

The Spear-Point is available in the 4-inch version.

3. mexican

mexican

Jun 25, 2014
    CS should make an XL spearpoint recon.

4. Bapple

Feb 1, 2010
    GCG, thanks for the correction! Clip point it is for sure. I'll edit in the change.

5. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Nice work. I definetly like the stonewashed finish better.

6. PAknife

PAknife

Jan 1, 2015
    Recon xl clip point is on my short list for cold steel wants for sure.

7. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    If you don't mind the Aus-8A versions, they can be found for under $90 from various online dealers now.

It may be a while until the Carpenter CTS-XHP versions are available though.

8. Bapple

Feb 1, 2010
    The CTS version will be mine also, cant wait