My first attempt at making a knife from scratch

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been wanting to make a knife from scratch for a while now but have not done it until now.

I made this knife completely from Carbon fiber and Micarta and plan to make a nice desk stand and use it as a letter opener.

Blade is about 3" long, and the knife has an OAL of 7".

I cut it out on my scroll saw and used files on the dual flat grind. The spine has full vine filework and the thumb ramp is checkered for grip. Pins are 1/8' black Micarta and the scales are Ivory Micarta. I polished the grinds on the blade to contrast them to the matte flats. (can't really see it in the picture though..)

I sharpened it with a diamond hone and it took a very nice edge, better than I expected..

It weighs in at about a whopping 2 ounces.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it :)

Very nice! i like the profile of the knive...kinda looks like a pikuni, Great job! :cool:

Chad,

That looks great! If you can do the blade in CF, it will only take a LITTLE longer in steel!!! GO FOR IT MAN!!!! NICE WORK :)

Neil

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions.

Unfortunately I don't want to do anything in steel until I get my shop back up to speed, right now everything is done in a third bedroom inside the house that I use as a modified shop. Hopefully by the end of summer...

But, as far as non-metal knives go I'm pretty satisifed with this one... :)

That is a really nice design. Right now these types of knives have an active market, nice job...

Back