My first Chaparral. Don’t think it will be my last.

I currently own two Chaparrals (the Rafir Noble and Sun/Moon) after purchasing them over the last couple months and it led me down a rabbit-hole to having purchased several more Spydercos since then, having resurged my interest in the brand after several years away. Well, ok, it was when I got a GB1 in hand again after selling the one I had years ago (foolishly) and then a friend helping me out with a GB2 that I've seriously gotten back into them. Amazing steels, amazing cutters, what's not to love?

Talkin' Story;

The Chaparral project was a personal thing for me. My first attempt was with the Solo series which was made in Japan and was a "Lobe Opener" pocket knife with no clip. This was in the late '80's. We made a number of models in two sizes, but the concept was short lived due to limitations in what materials the maker could work with. We're currently making a display for the store to show the early Solo series.

The Kopa was the 2nd attempt. I did the Kopa project with many variations, same model with different handles materials, but we reached a point where the maker was not able to follow the plan. So we ended the Kopa project, which became a very valuable collection for those that had them all. Really hard to find Kopa's now. We have a display in the store to show the models.

I know of one person that had an entire Kopa series that was stolen from them and the insurance payout for the loss was based on value, which turned out to be very high.

Then I began the Chaparral project with a new maker, but with the same spirit in mind of the Solo and Kopa series. The "Stealth" model, which has the titanium triangles at different depths, was actually the first design, but nailing down the triangles was taking a long time, so we created the Carbon Fiber version to introduce the line and concept.

The steel that I wanted to use, Carpenter's CTS-XHP, was still being refined and wasn't ready for production, so we used CPM S30V for the first model, Carbon Fiber. The Kopa series was limited production numbers (Sprints), which presented difficulties so I decided to make the Chaparrals as regular models and would continue them as long as sales were strong enough to support the inventory. The second model, the "Stealth" version was then released after the Carbon Fiber version. The "Stepped" Titanium model was the 3rd which we did with blue anodizing and without the blue anodizing. It's interesting to note that while it appears to have curves in the handle, the entire scale is made up of only straight lines. It's a bit of an optical illusion, that I learned to draw as a child in school.

The Sun / Moon version was a concept that was originally introduced with the Solo series, but we used Micarta, which wasn't strong enough when made very thin and kept cracking. I decided to try the concept again with the Chaparral which, in my opinion, came out very nice. The Raffir Noble and Maple versions were newer. As new materials become available, well add the version to the line.

We'll continue to make the Chaparral versions and keep making each model as long as sales are strong enough. When the market slows down on a particular variation, then it will be discontinued.

sal

Last edited:
It is great to hear the history so thank you very much for sharing.

I’m enjoying mine so much that I have decided to add some custom scales. I know that is very common for many people on the forums to do but it is very atypical for me.

It is a testament to how much I like it.

Back