My first (counterfeit) Cold Steel folder....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my first Cold Steel knife however, but my first one from them that isn't a fixed blade
it is a 26SB Liner lock, G10 sides and a 420J2 blade, this is a knife I bought CHEAP on the bay.
($10 plus shipping) and though it seems "OK" I am less than impressed with the blade material (specifically the factory edge)

And this blade is no more fun to put an edge on than any of the three 420 steel blades I've owned in the past of which I still own TWO (Both BUCKs I've had for >35years)

This after getting my first D2 Knifes last Friday, the D2 is hard but it took an edge...

I regard this CS purchase as a mistake and a lesson to read descriptions better, but I can say it was an "Inexpensive lesson".

Just out of curiosity, what do you reckon the blade bevel angles are?

My experience with CS has been consistently positive, and I'm curious.

Just out of curiosity, what do you reckon the blade bevel angles are?

My experience with CS has been consistently positive, and I'm curious.
sounds like you bought a fake one unfortunately
I Don't doubt it as it is SUPPOSED to be AUS8A, not 420J2 by the CS specifications and this certainly "feels" like 420 as I try to sharpen it... (AUS8 is easier to sharpen) The other thing about this knife that indicates "Counterfeit" to me, besides the Auction price is the marking on the blade. it is marked "Cold Steel" and in smaller type below "High Performance Knives". on this side of the blade it SHOULD Be marked "Ti-Lite" and "Made In Japan".

I should also note that the edges of the liners are a bit rough and not to the standards I'd expect from CS (and not to the standards of any of my Chinese Kershaws)

THIS knife was supposed to come from China (Taiwan) yet it arrived shipped from Korea (in a "K-packet") with a return address of Seoul, South Korea.

I suspect the Chinese counterfeiters are better at their business!

But as I said above it is an unpleasant learning experience, but an inexpensive one. $20 (shipped) for a counterfeit $74 knife...OK If it was a Magnum Tanto, I'd have never bought it off of ebay (there are no bargains on $379 knives)

Blade angles? they appear to be 25Degrees included, which I take to be about right
for 420(Buck knives) or AUS8A.

I seriously miss CS's "Carbon V" anytime I set about putting an edge on anything else, but what I don't miss about "Carbon V" is having to keeping any such knife sealed away in an oil filled container or sealed away in inert gas with a desicant pack the size of a White Castle Hamburger

Last edited:
26SB is the current CS model for the 4" Zy-Ex (black version), (off the CS website moments ago.)

But I also just noticed that the clip is not embossed "Cold Steel" as it should be

The funny thing is I didn't really try to buy this Korean Counterfeit, I threw a minimum bid amount at it then forgot all about it, until It turned up in my "you won" list.

Last edited:
“I didn’t try to buy it, I just bid on it and won it”. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you bought an obviously fake knife on eBay. No reason to drag the real manufacturer’s name through the mud.

How do you know it’s 420j2 by the way? Something tells me you wouldn’t know 420j2 from INFI or AUS-8 or C3PO and R2-D2.

Think we are done here. Counterfeit knives are not what we talk about.
I have modified the thread title as a clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back