My first leather sheath...

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
This is my first leather sheath. Never made one before. I needed a leather sheath for my Ulysses and had a very specific design in mind. I showed it to a couple of leather guys who told me that they didn't think it would function very well as far as the fit on the blade and being able to draw the knife. I tried to explain to them the idea of how the inside of the sheath would hold the blade and how the blade would move in and out, but I don't think I have the verbal prowess to do a good enough job of conveying the idea. I knew that it would work so I just decided to make it myself. I think it turned out pretty good for my first time. What do you guys think? I don't like sheaths to look new, so I gave it that slightly beaten up and used look.

This was the concept:

UlyssesSheath.jpg

and this is the finished product:

LeatherSheath1.jpg

LeatherSheath2.jpg

LeatherSheath3.jpg

LeatherSheath4.jpg

LeatherSheath5.jpg

LeatherSheath6.jpg

LeatherSheath7.jpg

LeatherSheath8.jpg

LeatherSheath9.jpg

Not bad at all. Good going. What blade is that? How is it as a chopper?

Cool looking sheath! I like the beat up look too. Did you prove the leather guys wrong function wise?

That is the Ulysses model. (the one in my signature)

15 inches of 1/4" thick 5160 Convex Saber ground steel... It's a damn good chopper. Not really made to do anything else. lol

I asked yesterday in a thread what knife that was. Good to know. Looks like a Khukuri with a modern face lift. Awesome blade Dylan!

You are one talented Mofo... :D :thumbup:

What a GREAT combo. Love that knife and the sheath compliments it quite nicely!!!

No doubt. Usually when I see a modernized Khukuri type blade it ends up looking like some Gil Hibben (no offense) or movie prop zombie killer. That is one classy looking blade right there.

Nice job on the sheath man :thumbup: Nice knife too. Wish I could have checked that one out when I came by :(

Soooo,are we going to be able to get Fletcher leather & steel together?
Sure hope so,becaus that looks great.

Soooo,are we going to be able to get Fletcher leather & steel together?
Sure hope so,becaus that looks great.

Highly doubtful. There are too many other good leather sheath makers on these forums and I HATE doing it. I wouldn't have done it this time, but the welt design for this sheath was too hard to explain to anyone else. I just had to do it myself. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll start making leather sheaths for my knives, but for right now, no way. The only exception I'll make is for Ulysses knives. If someone buys one of those, I'll offer to make the sheath for them for an additional price. BUT THAT'S IT!!!

Back