My first out of state order

Its going to Canada once I get the sheath complete. Hope you guys dont tire of this same old hunk of Cocobolo ;)
cococantine.jpg

balance act
balance2.jpg

cocostingercompanion.jpg
The one on the right is a different oder but thought it turned out well.

Thanks for looking.....

They look great, nice work. ;) Love the overall blade shape and handle. How do you get the nice gray finish on the blades?
Scott

Its a ferric chloride etch. You can get it at Radio Shack. I keep mine in a plastic pringles type container. Dilute it to around 1 part Ferric to 2 or 3 parts water. I am not sure about the ratio but I bet someone chimes in with it. You can always use a lime. It just takes longer. I like the etching sort of "pre stains" the carbon steel. Make it easier to beat up and not notice the stains from using it ;).

Nice.You have ,of course ,checked into the laws concerning exporting weapons to foreign countries? Just kidding,I think,but post 911 is a wierd world!

No your right..... I will need to look into a little better than I have. Maybe someone here will have some info.

it will work sand with 1200 or 1500 grit between etches. I do it about 3 times for 5 min each. Then 0000 steelwool.

blgoode said:
it will work sand with 1200 or 1500 grit between etches. I do it about 3 times for 5 min each. Then 0000 steelwool.
Do you let the blade soak in the solution for 5min. each time?

You're going to be busy Brian. Take that special vacation or camping trip now while you still can.

RL

You always make me smile RL - I like to be busy but I may be stepping onto the mothership :D Just kidding. I am trying to set aside my delivery time based on actual orders now. I have 2 to 3 more orders currently. Not too bad for a young pup. I couldnt do it without you guys :D

DONT SPEEK TOO FAST MARK. ;) :) There way to much to learn in this trade... I will be a young pup for quite some time. It is funny to think back this time last year in front of a 4 x ? sander thinking...humm lets see here. The cursing :D I dont curse as much now but I am enjoying putting out better blades.

Beauty!! Thanks for posting the pics.

That one has some of my favorite features on it: clean contiguously integrated design, drop point, wide chord, generous belly, nicely rounded handle (I find boxy slab-sided handles uncomfy), what appears to be a bit of flair at the butt of the handle, single-finger index groove & mild curve for the other fingers, gorgeous wood grain complimenting overall line of the knife. What's not to like?

Methinks there's gonna be one mighty happy Canadian when this one lands on their doorstep. :D

Mark is correct in that as I remember. I too have been watching you from your start here. You have got something special given you by your parents and God. Just stay the way you are, humble, and continue at knife making.

RL

You guys are too good to me.......

Your right on all acounts in the handle shape.....I think I have an above photo at home...I'll post it. It feels awsome! I am very happy with it.

RokJok - Here is the handle countour photo.
Handlecontour.jpg

The cocobolo has a little perspective in it but you can see how good this feels. I really like shaping the handles....if I dont screw it up :D

man, those are getting nice. I really like that slim one -- very nice profile and finish.

Looking good. I think it's legal for Canadians eah to get the knife....as long as they don't sharpen it! :footinmou

You have progressed unbelievably well.

pro.jpg

This is a little better shot....it feels nice. I hate to give her up ;)

Thanks for the comments fellas.

peter nap said:
Looking good. I think it's legal for Canadians eah to get the knife....as long as they don't sharpen it! :footinmou

You have progressed unbelievably well.

:) you mean I wont be usin' that big flat part to cut with? Take off eh hoser :)

Back