My first post and a question

I picked up my first Becker (and first fixed-blade knife), a BK2, over the winter. I jumped right into modifying simply by stripping the coating off (should have kept it on the handle), and putting a 90 on the the spine. I failed at a mustard patina, but I'm learning as I go. After picking up a Mora, I learned that making feather sticks is NOT the BK2's strength.

So I bought a BK16. Haven't modified, but it does everything great, including cutting steak...

And since I kept wishing that the BK2 were longer, I did what any aspiring Beckerhead would do and I got a BK9. WOW! What doesn't it do? And it feathers better than the 2.

Now my question is, since the 9's sheath has that slot for the BK13, are there any other alternatives to the 13 that others have found work well in that slot? The reviews for the 13 don't seem that great. Many feel it's overpriced.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Any knife will make feathers, some better than others. Really, it's a matter of getting used to the knife. I've made feathers on a toothpick with a BK2 before.

The BK9 is my most used blade by miles. It's just a hell of a good knife. Mostly for processing wood at my cabin.

If I remember correctly, someone posted before that the plastic sleeve in the BK13 holster can be removed, and 11 or 14 will fit. I can't swear by it though.

Back