My first Spydercos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have long regarded Spyderco knives to be horrendously ugly, due primarily to the hump added to most of their blades to allow for the thumbhole. As a trained scientist and one who fully subscribes to the Anglo-American Enlightenment, I respect empiricism (as I must), and cannot ignore that Spyderco knives have many fans willing to pay premium prices for their products. Thus, to see for myself whether the acclaim for the Spyderco brand is grounded in reality or is just another example of argumentum ad populum run amok (like the Glockaholic phenomenon), I broke down and ordered a couple of knives.

My two selection criteria were 1) no fugly hump on the blade spine, and 2) no commodity blade steel. I identified three candidates, the Native 5, the Chaparral, and the Lil' Native. I pulled the trigger on the latter two. I wanted the Chaparral Lightweight, because I like FRN scales; but, I could find none in stock, so I opted for the Raffir Noble scales. (If I had waited a day or two, plenty of Lightweights could have been found.). I chose the compression lock for the Lil' Native, to avoid getting two lockbacks and to try a new-for-me lock.

The knives arrived a couple days ago. With regard to the Chaparral, the scales are gorgeous, but they are smooth. As I had learned from a review or comment, the smooth scales can mean less than secure pocket retention. On the other hand, the knife clips into a pocket and extracts with ease. The scales preclude the knife being used hard, so I will relegate it to gentleman's carry, which means it won't see much use.

I sliced up an apple with the Chaparral and was pleasantly surprised at how well it did the job. It is clearly my best slicer, something I was hoping its thin blade might excel at. With the back lock I haven't been able to flick the blade open yet. I may be putting pressure on the locking mechanism. The absence of a detent seems to not be conducive to flicking. Is flicking lockbacks not doable, or am I doing something wrong?

Some reviewers have griped about the lock release being so narrow as to be painful to use, but I find that to be nonsense. I've found a few of my knives don't live up to what seem to be consensus opinions, both good and bad, of knife reviewers. I suspect many knife reviewers just feed off one another to establish a faux consensus devoid of serious empiricism; i.e., incestual opinion abounds. I think many reviews are published without even bothering to break in a knife -- presumably there is a premium placed on being first to publish rather than publishing a quality empirical review.

As to the Lil' Native, the first thing I noticed was the scales. The textured G-10 affords a great grip, which I appreciate because of my peripheral neuropathy. The grippiness of the scales makes pocketing and unpocketing the knife somewhat of a challenge, but once pocketed it's not coming out unless I take it out with something of a tussle. The little blade (small enough for an adult to lawfully carry in Chicago) tackled an apple just fine, but a day after the Chaparral shined at the task, it wasn't anything to write home about.

The Lil' Native's blade flicked out nicely with minimal break in after lubricating the pivot. I even middle-finger flicked it twice just before writing this. This will be a great EDC knife.

Bottom line: I will be obtaining more Spydercos, as long as they do not have a spine tumor. And, I will be looking for other slicey knives with thin blades.

"Some reviewers have griped about the lock release being so narrow as to be painful to use, but I find that to be nonsense. I've found a few of my knives don't live up to what seem to be consensus opinions, both good and bad, of knife reviewers. I suspect many knife reviewers just feed off one another to establish a faux consensus devoid of serious empiricism; i.e., incestual opinion abounds. I think many reviews are published without even bothering to break in a knife -- presumably there is a premium placed on being first to publish rather than publishing a quality empirical review."
What I have found myself.

Many of the Spyderco models are still ugly in looking but after one experiences how great their function is, that ugliness can turn into kind of beauty.

Don't hate the hump. It makes it eaisier to open and use with gloves. My favorites right now- PM3 and the Stretch. I have never been let down by Spyderco. Glad you are enjoying yours.

I know not of this ugliness of which you speak. Though I fell in love with Spyderco in the early 80's. I have a hard time not berating those that flick their knives. We used to punch punks that flicked our knives.

I know not of this ugliness of which you speak. Though I fell in love with Spyderco in the early 80's. I have a hard time not berating those that flick their knives. We used to punch punks that flicked our knives.
That's why I never let anyone use my knives

Hi Pteronarcyd,

Welcome and thanx for giving us a try. Of course, as a scientist, you must recognize that you have already fixed the results by limiting your purchase based on appearance, which is wholly unscientific. I often say "Too much eye, not enough brain".

I would suggest that you purchase a Delica 4 plain edge flat grind and use it for a while before coming to any conclusions. After all, you want to include the variables? Considering that most of our knives sold, by far, are the "fugly" models with the "fugly" hump. Which means that most of the opinions of users are based on that for which you don't like the looks.

Just some thoughts to share.

sal

Hi Pteronarcyd,

Welcome and thanx for giving us a try. Of course, as a scientist, you must recognize that you have already fixed the results by limiting your purchase based on appearance, which is wholly unscientific. I often say "Too much eye, not enough brain".

I would suggest that you purchase a Delica 4 plain edge flat grind and use it for a while before coming to any conclusions. After all, you want to include the variables? Considering that most of our knives sold, by far, are the "fugly" models with the "fugly" hump. Which means that most of the opinions of users are based on that for which you don't like the looks.

sal

It's stuff like this that is part of why I love Spyderco.

What is a "commodity blade steel"?

The relevant usage per Merriam-Webster:

1. an economic good: such as
c. a mass-produced unspecialized product

3. a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (such as brand name) other than price

The relevant usage per Merriam-Webster:

1. an economic good: such as
c. a mass-produced unspecialized product

3. a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (such as brand name) other than price
I know what commodity means. I was after your definition of it. S30V?

There are plenty of options.
Hi Pteronarcyd,

sal
That is well said.
You have also to consider the hump & spyderedge together, great cutting ability.
A combo I use often.

I know what commodity means. I was after your definition of it. S30V?

Not CPM-S30V, but I see where you are coming from, as this tends to be Spyderco's and Benchmade's most frequently used steel. A commodity steel would generally equate to a budget steel -- something like 8Cr13MoV or AUS8, which really have nothing to offer in today's market other than low price. Sprint runs tend to use noncommodity steels. For example, I doubt Spyderco will ever offer a sprint run of PM2s with AUS8 blades.

Last edited:
... 2) no commodity blade steel. ... It is clearly my best slicer, something I was hoping its thin blade might excel at. With the back lock I haven't been able to flick the blade open yet. ... Bottom line: I will be obtaining more Spydercos, as long as they do not have a spine tumor. And, I will be looking for other slicey knives with thin blades.

Welcome. It will go downhill from here ....

Yes, back-locks can be flipped, just needs a little training.

The knives you bought are teeny. One of Spydercos strength (IMHO) is larger blades in great slicers with not-so-common steels.

You can find a couple of these without [what you call spine tumor]. You really should try, otherwise you are missing out :) K2, Hundred Pacer, etc.

Regarding the hump, as Sal suggested, try scientifically. Maybe - in the beginning - just use on Wednesdays ?

My favorite slicers are, Manix2's, PM2's, Para3's, Og Millie.........Dragonfly2's. Ugly or unconventionally beautiful?

Many of the Spyderco models are still ugly in looking but after one experiences how great their function is, that ugliness can turn into kind of beauty.

Yes exactly! Although I don't consider them to be that ugly. They funciton beautifully and that proves the old saying "beauty is as beauty does". I buy knives for function and Spyderco models have replaced almost all of the knives of other brands that I carry and use. My favorites are the PM2 and Manix 2, and I have lots of variations of each.

You can find a couple of these without [what you call spine tumor]. You really should try, otherwise you are missing out :) K2, Hundred Pacer, etc.

Regarding the hump, as Sal suggested, try scientifically. Maybe - in the beginning - just use on Wednesdays ?

QXtDXSK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back