My first sword - O-Wakizashi WIP

Bravo. Looking forward to the next one! If you ever produce these for sale, I'd definitely be interested!

Thanks! Here's some final pics.

Wakizashi91.jpg

Wakizashi92.jpg

Wakizashi93.jpg

Wakizashi94.jpg

Wakizashi95.jpg

I posted this in the custom knife section too:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872727

Thanks again!!

:| That is just beautiful, are you going to be selling that beauty??

Did you do the tsukamaki?

Thanks!! Yes I did wrap the tsuka.. Look on the bottom of page 2. I got about 2/3's of the way through and realized that I made a mistake on the 4th cross and basically started over. :(

I painted the saya with an enamel paint and polished it with car polish.

As far as selling it. Not at the moment. I may, in the future, redo the tsuka to get the proportions more to my liking and then I might sell it.

But for now,, I'm having too much fun.

[youtube]L64KhJPHXT8[/youtube]

Great cutting man, may I ask what mats those are? They don't look like wara or tatami omote.
Were they soaked?

Yeah my first tsukamaki job took me approximately 6 hours, 2 hours in prep 4 hours in redoing the wrap just because a diamond was just too disproportional for my tastes.
Using some clamps really helps. I am down to approximately 1-2 hours for tsukamaki. I do fairly well, but still not to my liking. How are the fingers man? :D

Would you mind if I posted pictures of your work in a sword forum?

They are dollar store grass mats. I rolled up 2 of them and soaked them for a few hours.

I think I spent about 5-6 hours on the tsukamaki maybe more if I count cutting the hishi-gami.

I used a clamp but it wasn't the right size and though it worked it was difficult to use.

Sure, you can post it just let me know where. :)

great vid bro! You should keep this sword for Charlie imo.

Congrats on a beautiful sword! You did an excellent job and thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed this thread.

They are dollar store grass mats. I rolled up 2 of them and soaked them for a few hours.

I think I spent about 5-6 hours on the tsukamaki maybe more if I count cutting the hishi-gami.

I used a clamp but it wasn't the right size and though it worked it was difficult to use.

Sure, you can post it just let me know where. :)

I see. Definitely should try tatami omote if you enjoy cutting a lot, although I will say it's fregging pricey so up to you. Love cutting the stuff though.

Yeah :p preparation took me 2 hours experimenting with different size hishigami until I got the size I wanted, even then sometimes I'd have to cut hishigami as I am wrapping (due to the taper in the tsuka) now that I got some clamps.

Yeah man, I will post it in SBG. Hopefully get some nice attention that the wakizashi deserves.

that is spectacular. i like how the hamon came out, looks like a cresting wave coming at you.

Absolutely beautiful! Fantastic job on your first. Thanks for the WIP, as i am starting one in about a month. This should help me out a ton!

Thumbs up! All of them!

Mike

A tremendous accomplishment in its own right, and ridiculously well done for a first attempt.

Roger

You know, I always scoffed at people that said just reading a thread made them tired, out of empathy for what the poster went through. I no longer scoff. That thing is gorgeous dude, just gorgeous. You should be very proud of that sword. This is why I love posting on BF- I randomly surf and find threads like this...

Zero

Here I was half expecting this to be a what sword should I get for my first sword post, or a look, its the first sword that I own post.

This was instead a fantastic post ..lol.
Brilliant work! I would not have guessed that it was your first sword at all.
I am not an expert, but that looks like fine fine work to me.

Thanks again all. I did tear apart the tsuka last night and will rewrap it today. It was just bugging me too much.

Stuart,

You deserve all the praise and respect you are receiving in this thread. A very fine job, and a sword to be proud of; I hope you keep it for yourself as it's one heck of an achievement.

Dave

Back