My First Sword

I am just about to order my first sword, the Roman Riding Sword from Patrick Barta in the Czech Republic. Please look at his site at http://templ.oceany.cz/eng_z_ran-stred.htm which should show it on the top of the page. He is also involved with the group that SwordForum is now representing in this country, so that gives me a feeling of some security that I am not dealing with a fly-by-night outfit. His listed price is $260, but it comes to $360 with shipping to the States, half down with the order. The price includes a very nice looking scabbard, which he doesn't show on his site, but which he has in the full picture that he sent to me.

After some thinking about why this sword so appeals to me, I have concluded that this is what I would imagine Excalibur would have looked like, a sort of cross between a Late Roman Spatha and a Germanic Migration Era sword.

In any case, let me know what you all think.

Hugh,

I cannot wait to hear how this turns out. The sword looks pretty darned cool and that is coming from someone who generally does not care for migration era stuff. The reports I have heard about this fellow are good and I hope all the best. Welcome to sword ownership and please make sure that you post a review including all the vital statstistics once you have this piece in hand. Are you planning on doing any cutting with it or is this mostly a show piece? Also what is the projected wait time?

So you've decided to take the plunge huh?
Great!
We'll expect lots of good pics and a review or at least your impressions of it.

Also, for my own curiousity, please let us know about the order and shipping aspect, re: currency exchange, ship time, etc.

I'm looking forward to hearing about it, it's a handsome looking sword.

I intend to use the sword primarily as s piece in re-enacting Migration Era types, such as sub-Roman Britons, Anglo-Saxons, or such. I may even try to stretch it to Vikings, saying that it was an inherited piece, passed down through many generations. But I do not intend to be using it in mock battles, as I am too damned arthritic to be doing that. I see whatever sword-bearing character I might be as a sort of elder in the band.

I am currently thinking of getting it sharp and trying it out on some boxes, pool noodles, etc. It will not be hung out on the wall, as my wife is much more of the "Peace Testimony" Quaker than I and I have no desire to go picking fights with her, nor do i wish there to be temptation for any of my daughter's teen friends of either gender to be playing with it.

And, yes, I do intend to give a review of it here, in SwordForum, and in NetSword, with pics if I can find someone to mount them for me. My impression is that it is a 3 month wait or so to get your order on one as simple as this. But you should go look at his more elaborate ones, such as his ring sword. He also does some excellent looking rapiers and other swords.

I got a reply to my query over in SwordForum about Patrick Barta from Pavel Neumann, one of the principals of Armart, the Czech company with which SF has affiliated. He said that Barta is a good friend and sometime consulant for them and that his is quite good work. He deems the Roman Riding Sword a really good buy at the price. BUt the waiting period is now some 12 months, I understand. That is a very long time to be drooling! I had best get my order off ASAP.

It's great to see another swordmaker. Unfortunately those of us that like long blades don't have many places to shop. I'm lookiong forward to your review.

Well, I've gone and done it, I ordered it. Patrick said that his backlog is 10 months, so i can expect (hope for) shipment in June of 2002. Ouch! I have an email from him with a picture of the full sword and scabbard. Can someone tell me how to post this to the thread?

Posting this for Hugh.
This is a REALLY good looking sword and I'm anxious to hear about it when it finally comes.
I don't envy you though Hugh, 10 months is a long time to wait!
:D

Attachments

• roman_riding_sword.jpg
    roman_riding_sword.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 109
Back