My First W&C Side arrived!!!

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Now what, this thing is larger than I imagined and I probably have a year or two worth of sheaths at my work rate. About 3.5'x7+' and listed as 26 sq ft. It would cover my whole work bench and way too big for my cramped quarters. My plan is to layout on the back porch with scrap plywood beneath, cut off the irregular belly areas and use what belly I can as welts and set aside the rest for cutting tests for the really bad parts. Then just cut the rest up into sizes that I can work with. Am I on the right track? Any other prep advice?

It looks real good by the way, 8-10 oz Russet Skirting (discount/branded). Can't wait to try tooling/carving. A morose ;) standing bear design is next for a pretty long bladed knife.

Congrats on the W&C side :) I really love their stuff, just getting ready myself to place another order :)
I left mine whole, and I’ve been strategically placing my patterns to yield as much as I can.
I’m only a newbie, but watch the edges and irregular bellie areas. Some tends to be soft ? so when you stitch it if used for welt it may compress more than you’d like.
But again I’m a pup in learning stages :)
I posted some pics of sheaths I did, their all W&C bridle leather.
I think I wanna try harness leather next :)

My preferred method on a side of leather is to just remove the belly section. As duramax said, laying out the pattern on the remainder gives you a better yield.

Thanks Duramax and HS, Belly it is then, and I'll just roll out enough for the sheath cuts, keeping the rest rolled up in butcher paper. That should work OK on the floor with plywood and newspapers underneath.

Baiscally what I do too although nmost of the time I'm using a whole side and sometimes more. Welcome to the big boys you will LOVE that leather.

Yup, that's some nice stuff, easy to work and very clean front and back. I notice it seems soft so I had to use less pressure on the swivel knife and the stamps and punches.18-6 1.JPG 18-6 2.JPG 18-6 3.JPG 18-6 4.JPG

Back