My Fourth Spyderco: Seki-licious

Spyderco Delica 4 in K390. This arrived a few days ago, and I must say that I am delighted. I debated whether or not to go with K390 or give s30v a try. You tell me if I made the right choice.

^^This is me trying to impersonate one of the fancy BladeForums photographers. It's not working, is it?

First Impressions:

1) Outstanding fit and finish. Just a well-made instrument.

2) Blade-to-handle proportions make the right impression. The darn thing feels right in the hand.

3) It's sharp out of the box (if you're into that whole slicing-copy-paper-effortlessly thing).

4) The blade tang thickness is slightly narrower than the lock bar thickness. I only mention this because it proves that you people have turned me into an obsessive lunatic. I'm not a knife maker, but I'm confident that the variance in thickness makes no difference.

5) It has steel liners. Hmm. I hadn't thought about that.

6) The grind lines on the blade, spine to apex. I've said this before: They remind me of the fine engraving lines on paper money. I love money. (Oops. Did I say that out loud?)

7) The pocket clip is beautifully shaped, but does it have to be matte black? It's an insignificant issue, but I keep thinking "Matte black? Really?"

The Delica 4 is comparable to my Buck 501. I love this Buck knife. It is in every sense "my knife." But experience has taught me that it is not big enough to easily maneuver its way around a lunchtime Granny Smith apple, so I'm wondering if a man needs a pocket knife with a blade larger than 2.XX-ins. We'll see how the Spydie fares.

I hope you'll share your thoughts on, and experiences with, the Delica 4. Cheers. :)

Last edited:

Ajack60

Platinum Member
The Delica in K390 is a slicing machine. The blade geometry and steel combo makes for a knife that will be hard to beat for that purpose. I’m waiting to see if the Native Chief will be offered in K390. I don’t know why, but I’m drawn to K390 more so than Rex45 or Cruwear and I really like those two steels.

The Delica in K390 is a slicing machine. The blade geometry and steel combo makes for a knife that will be hard to beat for that purpose. I’m waiting to see if the Native Chief will be offered in K390. I don’t know why, but I’m drawn to K390 more so than Rex45 or Cruwear and I really like those two steels.

I'm new to Rex45, but I have heard a lot of folks sing the praises of Cruwear (and K390).

How do you keep your K390 sharp?

Ajack60

Platinum Member
I'm new to Rex45, but I have heard a lot of folks sing the praises of Cruwear (and K390).

How do you keep your K390 sharp?
I usually use a ceramic rod and leather strop loaded with 600 grit paste that I got from Big Chris. For me, 600 grit compoud or stone is as far as I need to go for a work knife. ill sharpen them with stones when I think they need it. at that point, I’ll move up to a finer progression (2k) just because I already have everything out.

I often think I can't be a real Spyderco fan and not own a Delica. Maybe I should stop waiting for K390 Golden models and just get this one.

sgt1372

Platinum Member
I often think I can't be a real Spyderco fan and not own a Delica. Maybe I should stop waiting for K390 Golden models and just get this one.

Really? FWIW, I own 144 Spydercos (at last count).

None of them is a Delica but I have no problem still considering myself a "real" Spyderco fan who (to me) is anyone who owns more than 1 Spyderco that s/he doesn't need to use or carry daily.

LOL! ;)

AntDog

Gold Member
Really? FWIW, I own 144 Spydercos (at last count).

None of them is a Delica but I have no problem still considering myself a "real" Spyderco fan who (to me) is anyone who owns more than 1 Spyderco that s/he doesn't need to use or carry daily.

LOL! ;)
I only own one at this point. Must not be a real fan.:rolleyes:

AntDog

Gold Member
Guess not by my definition (which was meant to be humerous} but I certainly have no problem if you consider yourself a "fan."

Everyone's welcome, IMO! :)

Definitely a Spyderco fan. Had tons through the years, just settled on one I like a lot. I even use mine. 🙂

And you wanna see it? Here she be.

V-Toku2 Endura. Light, tough, great cutter.
Almost the same here, totally fell in love with the PS2..

16Ehdhol.jpg