My friend ask to trade his XM-18 Wharnie for my Burt Foster

My friend want my Burt's Combat#4 and he said that he can't find it sell anywhere. He ask me to trade mine for his mint XM-18 Wharnie with black G10 scale. Actually I always prefer fixed blade but XM-18 Wharnie seems to be sale at higher value than my Burt.

If you were me would you ok with the trade regardless of the difference in value.

other's XM-18 pic
$_12.JPG

Last edited:
PS, I wouldn't trade the Burt Foster for the Hinderer. JMO

It sounds like you like your knife. So if the only aspect of the trade that interest you is the monetary value of the hinderer, keep yours.

it sounds like you prefer your knife to the hinderer and you are only considering trading cause of the money. in my opinion and experiences, choosing money over something you enjoy is never a good choice. also burt foster's knives are harder to find than a production xm18 so if you do decide to trade and then decide you want to get another foster, you'll have a lot tougher time finding one again. and the pries of hinderers seems to be declining right now.

it sounds like you prefer your knife to the hinderer and you are only considering trading cause of the money. in my opinion and experiences, choosing money over something you enjoy is never a good choice. also burt foster's knives are harder to find than a production xm18 so if you do decide to trade and then decide you want to get another foster, you'll have a lot tougher time finding one again. and the pries of hinderers seems to be declining right now.

....+1 to everything you just said

Apologize me, I'm not a gold member here so I can't really discuss about selling stuff. Thank for your interest though:)

I'll pay for your gold member upgrade if you're willing to work a deal with me:D

How often do you use the Burt Foster? Is it on your belt everyday, or does it just sit in a case?

If it just sits, I'd go with the Hinderer. It will probably get more use with you, and the Burt will probably see more use with your friend :)

How often do you use the Burt Foster? Is it on your belt everyday, or does it just sit in a case?

If it just sits, I'd go with the Hinderer. It will probably get more use with you, and the Burt will probably see more use with your friend :)

Both Burt is a safe queen and XM-18 would gonna sit in the case if it were mine. I'm already have too much user blades right now :eek:

Didn't Rick Hinderer start farming out quite a bit of the work related to the blade? I think he still makes the standoffs and handles, but when the soul of the knife is farmed out, is it really worth more than a completely handmade knife from a ABS master?

On another note, that Foster knife just looks crazy good, and I'm betting the performance is even better. I keep scrolling to the top just to look at it. Believe it or not, I copied a picture on my phone of the same knife some time ago and just reference it every once in a while just to remember exactly what I believe a knife should be so I don't get caught up in useless junk.

JMO, I sure wouldn't make that trade, cost/value notwithstanding. I'd keep the Foster and save for a new or LNIB XM-18. Of course, you need to do what works for you - but, man, the Foster is gorgeous. :thumbup:

Thank for those kind responds, I think I will keep the Burt.

@bodog, I really appreciate your commend, whenever if I need to let it go I promise I'll get the gold member and to sell it to you, at lower than I paid for:) my friend already has 2 Burt's camp knife so I don't care for him:eek::D

Burt Foster is probably my favorite maker. Apparently don't know that much about him tho because I wasn't aware he made that type of knife. Which maybe is why it's so rare......I'd keep it.

It's all about your preference brother. Do whatever you want, because in the end what we say doesn't change what you like.

Back