1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My friend ask to trade his XM-18 Wharnie for my Burt Foster

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by shqxk, Feb 17, 2014.

1. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    My friend want my Burt's Combat#4 and he said that he can't find it sell anywhere. He ask me to trade mine for his mint XM-18 Wharnie with black G10 scale. Actually I always prefer fixed blade but XM-18 Wharnie seems to be sale at higher value than my Burt.

If you were me would you ok with the trade regardless of the difference in value.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    other's XM-18 pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    If you were to sell it, how much would you ask for it?

3. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    PS, I wouldn't trade the Burt Foster for the Hinderer. JMO

4. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Apologize me, I'm not a gold member here so I can't really discuss about selling stuff. Thank for your interest though:)

5. SlippyShayne

SlippyShayne

Mar 28, 2013
    It sounds like you like your knife. So if the only aspect of the trade that interest you is the monetary value of the hinderer, keep yours.

6. OBL

OBL

Sep 17, 2013
    it sounds like you prefer your knife to the hinderer and you are only considering trading cause of the money. in my opinion and experiences, choosing money over something you enjoy is never a good choice. also burt foster's knives are harder to find than a production xm18 so if you do decide to trade and then decide you want to get another foster, you'll have a lot tougher time finding one again. and the pries of hinderers seems to be declining right now.

7. Juraj

Juraj

Aug 5, 2009
    That is one awesome blade. I wouldn't trade it.

8. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013

....+1 to everything you just said

9. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013

I'll pay for your gold member upgrade if you're willing to work a deal with me:D

10. CJZ

CJZ Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2012
    How often do you use the Burt Foster? Is it on your belt everyday, or does it just sit in a case?

If it just sits, I'd go with the Hinderer. It will probably get more use with you, and the Burt will probably see more use with your friend :)

11. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Both Burt is a safe queen and XM-18 would gonna sit in the case if it were mine. I'm already have too much user blades right now :eek:

12. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Keep your knife.

13. CJZ

CJZ Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Then keep the Burt. It's harder to find.

14. PropThePolecat

PropThePolecat

Jan 31, 2009
    Keep the Burt Foster. XM-18's are not hard to find as opposed to the Burt Foster.

15. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    Didn't Rick Hinderer start farming out quite a bit of the work related to the blade? I think he still makes the standoffs and handles, but when the soul of the knife is farmed out, is it really worth more than a completely handmade knife from a ABS master?

On another note, that Foster knife just looks crazy good, and I'm betting the performance is even better. I keep scrolling to the top just to look at it. Believe it or not, I copied a picture on my phone of the same knife some time ago and just reference it every once in a while just to remember exactly what I believe a knife should be so I don't get caught up in useless junk.

16. SaintlyBrees

SaintlyBrees

May 7, 2013
    JMO, I sure wouldn't make that trade, cost/value notwithstanding. I'd keep the Foster and save for a new or LNIB XM-18. Of course, you need to do what works for you - but, man, the Foster is gorgeous. :thumbup:

17. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Thank for those kind responds, I think I will keep the Burt.

@bodog, I really appreciate your commend, whenever if I need to let it go I promise I'll get the gold member and to sell it to you, at lower than I paid for:) my friend already has 2 Burt's camp knife so I don't care for him:eek::D

18. Kowan

Kowan

Feb 12, 2014
    Good choice. That is one good looking knife you have.

19. sirupatespecial

sirupatespecial

Oct 16, 2013
    Burt Foster is probably my favorite maker. Apparently don't know that much about him tho because I wasn't aware he made that type of knife. Which maybe is why it's so rare......I'd keep it.

20. JustinWatts

JustinWatts

May 26, 2012
    It's all about your preference brother. Do whatever you want, because in the end what we say doesn't change what you like.