My Fulcrum11D impressions

I picked the knife up at 5pm today.

It's numbered 0401. I could give this knife long dissertation here, but I can sum it up with these remarks if you have read my postings on my MPC in earlier threads.

It's a smaller MPC without the upper guard, very similair or the same blade design without the serrations, same edge geometry, smaller in some dimensions like the length of the handle and blade but not where it counts in the lock and thickness of lock and blade, same finish on handle and blade.

There are subtle differences but my initial impression was that it was a smaller MPC with the same strength to it.

Thats it folks.

This knife has been EDC'd in lieu of the strider SnG I have been carrying of late.

Different animals, but I'm looking for overall strength in my folders now. I now will carry the F11D and MPC as edc's.

The MPC is being tested/critiqued for a review sometime in the next 5-6 weeks. If we can get the idea I and another had for testing off the ground with the MPC, it promises to be very enlightening and a good read.

Brownie

Okay, it's been about another hour of handling this one.

I loctited the pivot down good and tight to further help with any potential lateral stresses I may give this knife. The blade still swings freely and does not seem pinched or binding in the least. It was plenty tight from the factory but I like to loctite them.

The thumb ramp serrations are radiused enough on the edges to provide plenty of gripability without being "sharp" or causing pain in hard thumb pressure.

I sharpened it as well. Thats just something I do with every knife I own, nothing to do with this knife itself. It was sharp, but I tweeked it.

As this is the second ER I have put the stones to briefly, I can tell you from sharpening more knives than most will in a lifetime that this cobalt alloy used by ER takes a very nice edge quickly with little work.

Two passes on the dark ceramics and several on each side with the whites and it is where I want it.

It's oiled on the shapened edge portion of the blade and left wet like all my knives. This slows down the oxidation process by being protected from the elements until used.

The passive lock is stiff enough to stay in the position you put it with little chance of moving until you want it to.

It's handfilling, not as heavy as the MPC, of course, and it begs for me to use it [ no it doesn't talk ].

Another winner for the ER folks.

Brownie

A Fulcrum and a MPC - how do you keep your pants from falling down? :D

Brownie,

I know the stats, but is the weight/size difference physically discernable?

An acquaintance of mine is very interested in the ER folders, and he thought that the MPC was a bit too large for carry.

Thanks !

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Yes, the weight is proportional to the size difference.

It's noticeable. I look at this knife as an MPC thats downsized without the serrations and upper guard which the thumb ramp covers nicely.

Brownie

Update:

After carrying the Fulcrum11D for two weeks, here is more input on this knife.

The passive lockbar on the lockback would ocassionally lock itself in my pocket and when accessed it would not open accordingly until unlocked.

Though the passive bar was less prone to engagign the lock than my MPC, it still locked itself ocassionally.

I took it off the knife and stuck it away in the box.

The Fulcrum "Brownie pops" very well, even when I tightened the pivot as tight as I could [ which it still sits at right now, tightened up good ].

There is no blade play with the pivot tightened up solid and blue loc-tited. I tightened the pivot thusly so that if I had to use it as a crowbar, it would be less prone to wobble or "give" under lateral stresses.

I did the same thing with the MPC earlier.

The blade is very smooth at the pivot and opens with no drag anywhere. Once locked up, there is no play in the blade laterally or up and down on the lockbar.
[ Note: there was none before I tightened the pivot either ].

I wanted to option of the passive lock so I put it back on the Fulcrum and loc-tited it in the unlocked position last week. It has remained unlocked since and does not engage itself now. I used the blue loc-tite and if I ever need the extra security of the passive lock, the blue loc-tite will allow me to move the bar to the locked position easily. This has solved the problem [ for me ]and will also be performed on the MPC in the future.

The finish is holding up very well. The clip is easy on the pockets and does not appear that it will be aggressive on the pockets like so many other clips on folders out there. This makes it a big plus in my book as I'm always buying more pants, as the pockets are ripped from clips before the clothes have been worn six months.

It's my EDC in the RFP. I did have to loosen the clip some for easy access off the pockets. It is adjusted to where I need it for me at this time.

Though probably considered a big folder dimensionally, it sits comfortably in the front pocket. I can access the lighter or change, getting by the knife easily. I do not feel the weight while it is worn whether in Dockers or dungarees and so it is not an issue there as well.

It's an uber-tank [ as Thom says ]of a folder. I like it, and more importantly, I trust this knife to do anything I need it to do, including going beyond it's design parameters.

Can't say that about a lot of the knives out there in the market at this time.

Kudos to ER and their products.

Brownie

I find subjective reviews very valuable; especially the way Brownie writes them.
Thanks.
I didn't quite understand the blue loc-tite thing on the lock, though.
I assume blue loc-tite does not take a hard set.

That's right, Ken. Blue loc-tite has a medium strength that will hold most screws or pins in place, but will break free with deliberate pressure. The new run of Spydercp Calypso, Jr.s uses blue Loc-Tite in their pivots. Extrema Ratio doesn't place sealants in their screws so that leaves your choices open to individual preference. For me, that's threading tape.

Hi Ken,

I use blue loc-tite on every knife to lock the pivots and clip screws right "as new" from the box.

I've never had them back off after using it, yet can take the pivot apart anytime I feel I need to.

Saves the hastle of doing it after a screw comes loose or the pivot loosens from popping them too much. After loc-titing they are "good to go".

Glad you enjoy the reviews. The MPC is being tested and may take a few months but promises to be every bit as tough on the knife as the Chinnok testing.

Brownie

Back