1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My GSO Family in Ironwood...

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Methuselah, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Methuselah

Methuselah Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Hey All,
    I bought a GSO 6 over two years ago to use and to alter with a wood of my choice. I chose High figure desert Ironwood burl. I joined Bladeforums to learn stuff. Thank you Bladeforums and so many different members for your kindness and experience. The 6 is mine and was the first one and shows the most age colorwise. I left a fair amount of material so I could come back later to smooth out the prided fasteners once I learned how. The 4.7 (finished last month) is kinda extra and I don't use it at the moment and am planning a matching fire steel handle, as I ordered that piece of wood long. Also planning a couple pouch sheaths for the 4.7 and the 4.1 that I did for my Lady (finished last week).
    Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks and share a little of my gleanings from this great site. So here are a few pics.

And a link to imgur for scrolling http://imgur.com/a/6KHnM with additonal pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]:D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. Methuselah

Feb 7, 2015
    Technically this one is hers. So I only have one ...

She is tickled with it ..:) and quite the dog lover.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thank you Bladeforums.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. musicisevil

musicisevil Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Those are drop dead gorgeous! I love the figuring on the 4.1, but that 4.7 is my favorite of the batch. Beautifully subtle colors and shapes, I'll bet it just pops in person! Incredible work and great collection, thank you very much for sharing!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Methuselah likes this.
  4. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    That's a nice lineup, Peter. I know a little bit about making GSO handles, and I wondering how you did a couple things there.

Respect, friend. This is legit!

Methuselah likes this.
  5. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    If all wood looked as good as yours I might just be converted from the ugly synthetics! :thumbsup:
    Those handles really pop!

Methuselah likes this.
  6. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I am always amazed at the work shared here. The craftsmanship speaks for itself, just beautiful. Also, I love the mosaic pin for the dog's paw, some of my best friends are the four-legged kind. :thumbsup: Thank you very much for sharing this.

Methuselah and grogimus like this.
  7. Methuselah

Feb 7, 2015
    You are so right they do pop. There is a depth to the wood that is a little mesmerizzing.. Thank you.

Thanks Tony. I sent you my email.

8. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    I see you posted one on the exchange. Really incredible work. I hope you get asking price for it. Would consider buying it from you myself if I didn't already have a 4.7 in CFV.

Methuselah likes this.
  9. Methuselah

Feb 7, 2015
    Thank you.

grogimus likes this.
  10. blzwow

blzwow

Nov 26, 2016
    Good work! I'm also thinking of changing my GSO handle.
    Did you just finish your GSO4.1 handle last week? Why The handle colors of 6 and 4.1 look very different? Is the handle of GSO6 because of oxidation for a long time?
    sorry for my english.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Methuselah likes this.
  11. Methuselah

Feb 7, 2015
    yes over time the wood darkens. Ahk thanks for the compliment.

12. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Ha! That's like saying Aaron Rodgers knows a little bit about football :D

Methuselah and TRfromMT like this.
  13. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Ha! Thanks, but let's not over sell it!

Methuselah and Silver Needle like this.
  14. BBuser

BBuser

Sep 4, 2016
    Wow, I want to hold one. What a nice job. They look so good in wood and leather.

Methuselah likes this.