My HDFK aka NASK Review

abbydaddy

Gold Member
Hello everybody, I just wrapped up my review of the HDFK D2 prototype. I could only afford this review because @Dirtbags00 agreed to let me do a kinda-proxy deal where I snagged it, reviewed it for a couple weeks, and then sent it off to him for a little discount. I really enjoyed getting to review it. And if anyone else there might want to do something similar with upcoming models (like say, the EDC2 or the Medium Chopper) I would love to try this again.

Anyway, here is the review: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...heavy-duty-field-knife-hdfk-aka-nask.1523720/

20170914_151936.jpg

I think that is a really well written review

I think that is a really well written review
Thanks Lorien, it means a lot from you.

I try to write my reviews with a balance of accessibility and detail. I have friends who read my blog who have no real knife background, but my blog also gathers hits from all over the world (mostly for the knife reviews, nobody really reads my political posts) so I try to write for as broad of an audience as I can. I always welcome constructive criticism and advice.

I'll have to check your blog out some more once we have more consistent access to the internet, (modem's about fried)

The thing that struck me most about your review was the lack of 'glow'. While you made it very clear that you like the knife, you didn't resort to that disgusting, gushing toadying that seems to stand in for 'reviews' so often. And, it was an actual review; you used the knife to get feedback on how it worked for you. It's insane how often people call their 'overviews' 'reviews'- that's disingenuous in my book, or maybe just ignorant. Either way, it's a major pet peeve of mine.

It was a real struggle for me to take some of the 'chopperliness' out of this pattern in order to provide more versatility for arguably more important but less glamorous tasks, and I was so glad you figured that out and laid out your opinion on it so clearly.

Also, going forward on this pattern, I've recommended grinding a small 'heel' at the termination of the grind and the beginning of the finger bay. Might be helpful for those with 'robust' fingers :)

abbydaddy abbydaddy How much trouble did the D2 give you to get back to a sharp edge? Did you work it back up?

For my reviews I don't do any sharpening beyond using a butcher's steel. I feel like edge retention is an important part of a review, and I can't really give the factory edge a fair review if I am sharpening it.

What do you mean?
Not answering for LA, but personally for me:

When someone's fondling a blade, going over specs, commenting on fit/finish, and such-- that's an OVERVIEW.

Now when a person actually uses the knife in the field with it's intended <and sometimes incidental, unintended> uses-- that's what I call a REVIEW.

And the longer span of time and greater "mileage" that the use covers, the better I like the review.

BTW, great read abbydaddy abbydaddy and great REVIEW given your time constraints on the loaner! I'm looking forward to my NASK arrivals and your review whetted my appetite like a nice hors d'oeuvres. I'm wondering if you did any hammering on the pommel? I generally like having an exposed pommel on an "all bases covered" model-- for rudimentary prying, for hitting/grinding/mashing, and for being hit upon.

I especially liked how you compared thicknesses with other blades. For me, when I read/hear specs. it's nothing like actually seeing it side to side with other blades I'm already familiar with. As such, it didn't register with me with what's been put out thus far how robust the NASK is until I read your review.

I also didn't realize how tiny the NASK is :rolleyes: until I saw you engulfing it like an EDC with those grubgrabbers of yours! :p Much thanks, amigo!

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you did any hammering on the pommel? I generally like having an exposed pommel on an "all bases covered" model-- for rudimentary prying, for hitting/grinding/mashing, and for being hit upon.

I did not do any hammering on the pommel. When it comes to hammering I am generally more likely to use a rock or a branch myself. Honestly, I just don't much like hammering with a blade pointed at me. I have a hard enough time psychologically using the poll of a hatchet, and that is just my own hangups. Hammering is probably the biggest thing that keeps me a believer in hatchets, rather than just relying on knives in camping/hiking/survival situations.

Honestly, I just don't much like hammering with a blade pointed at me. I have a hard enough time psychologically using the poll of a hatchet, and that is just my own hangups.

agreed...I have a Swamp Rat KDSH and I'm extra mindful using it...

I wouldn't consider what you described as a hangup :)...embrace it and make it work for you by keeping you more focused on what you're doing. I'm sure you're already doing that, however. Additionally, I leave mine sheathed when using the pommel to mash...one of the reasons I prefer taco-style kydex.

I've never found myself needing a tang that extended past the scales so long as it was flush and the scales were well-attached. What are you guys hammering?

I've never found myself needing a tang that extended past the scales so long as it was flush and the scales were well-attached. What are you guys hammering?

As far as 'hammering' goes, I don't ever see a use where a knife like this would be used to hit something with the handle end. But, that's not the kind of hammering I had in mind when incorporating the feature into the original design. It was included as a way to use the knife as a chisel, or hammer drill or whathaveyou. You hold the knife while hitting the butt of the handle with a baton, or a rock, (or another knife, lol). That being said, I've used a baton in this way with my proto and the handle material took the beating.

My post was not intended as "second guessing" LA's design choices.

There's many benefits to adding an exposed pommel as part of the design...few drawbacks, I can see, besides esoteric ones. It's the cheapest real estate to include on a design.

In my original post I asked abbydaddy if he'd used the HDFK for any hammering. I realize that by NOT HAVING an exposed pommel DOES NOT preclude anyone from hammering down on the end of the handle. I was just wondering if the reviewer had tried any of this.

As for the uses for an exposed tang/pommel on such a blade is only limited by one's imagination/ingenuity.

From my initial post:
I generally like having an exposed pommel on an "all bases covered" model-- for rudimentary prying, for hitting/grinding/mashing, and for being hit upon.

It can be used for anything requiring some hardness steel provides without sacrificing your primary edge, spine, or tip. Seems to be a segment of ELU's who like to use flint to start fires...another great possibility for usage of this type of pommel.

This is @betzner ' s pic, Bob if you don't approve it's use, I'll pull it down:
large.jpg

Back