My impressions of Wolverine knife show...

I was at the Wolverine Knife Collector's Club show in Novi, MI yesterday for a few hours. It is about a 2.5 hour drive each way and I'm glad I went. The highlight for me was definitely getting to meet Kim Breed face to face and hang out. He's become somewhat of a mentor to me with my knifemaking in the last few months, so that was very cool. I learned a lot about stag and natural handle materials as we rifled through piles of handle stuff at Koval's and Wilson's tables! Very cool!

Anyway, I only have one other show to compare to this one, and that was the 1999 Badger show in Wisconsin. This was a smaller show, and had a lot more collector's/dealers than makers, but it was cool. I got to see a lot of South African stuff (Arno Bernard was everywhere, Prinsloo, too), and some of the collectors had some neat gems under glass, too (a little Primos knife, a Phill Hartsfield kiridashi, that kind of stuff).

It was Marble's collectors' heaven there! TONS of Marbles stuff, and every table I walked past had at least one or two guys pulling Marble's knives out of their pockets to try to trade or sell to dealers! Lots of Case, too. But, overall a good show. I'd like to see more custom makers and fewer dealers because I like to see other makers' work, but it was a good, diverse show and I'll definitely be back next year. There's no way I'm going to skip the Chicago custom knife show, though, this time around!

Thanks to Tmac and the other organizers of the show! See you next year!

It is always especially cool to get a maker's feedback when attending a show. I can appreciate how much fun it must have been to go through the supplies with Kim Breed. Mel Pardue, Butch Vallotton and Mike Zscherny have all taken the time to go through piles of handle materials from Koval, K&G, and Culpepper's with me, both to educate me, as well as picking specific handle materials for special knives.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back