My Izula II Review

Hi guys, I recently purchased an Izula II Kit from our good buddy Dale at T-K-C. I've been using it constantly for the last 3 months & I decided to do a review. What you are about to read is my personal experience with this knife. Your experience may differ... but I doubt it.

I opened up my envelope from T-K-C & pulled out a clear ziplock style bag with my brand new Izula II kit inside. I was stoked.

I immediately pulled the Izula from her sheath & examined the fit & finish with microscopic detail. It was flawless.

This being my first ESEE knife, I was extremely pleased with the blade coating. It was thick & tough but still had a nice shine & cosmetic allure.

I was also impressed that all the grinds were completely symmetrical. Most knife makers don't take the time or apply the precision it takes to do that. Nice job ESEE.

The micarta slabs are well made & extremely comfortable in hand. They're flat on the sides which I prefer, but some may not.

This knife has great ergonomics. It's light & lively in the hand & feels totally natural. The jimpings are exactly where they should be & the tip of my pinky finger fits right in the lanyard hole to add some extra security when I'm working with it.

The sheath is one of my favorite parts about this knife. The Izzy II has the finest plastic/kydex style sheath I've ever used. I LOVE the way it locks into place. Sounds like a tiny sword locking in there! hahaha! The sheath is nice & rigid & feels totally secure when I carry it. It's totally versatile too. You can carry with the included clip, paracord or a Tek-Lock clip. I use the included clip over my pants & belt. Seems to grip better if you put it over the pants & belt. Inverted carry & neck carry is also an option. You can basically carry this knife wherever & however you want. Very cool.

I was totally impressed so far, so I decided to check out the edge. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd give the factory edge an 8. Don't get me wrong... the grind was perfect & it shaved my arm right out of the box, but it was not quite as sharp as some other knives I've had. A few strokes on the ol' strop & she was up to par though. No biggie.

Now for all the goodies. The Izzy II kit came complete with paracord, cord lock, whistle assembly, split rings, snap hook, fire flint & clip plate with mounting hardware. All these items were good quality & compliment the knife's different carry options & uses for wilderness situations.

After receiving my Izzy II, I carried every day for 3 months & used it in all kinds of different weather. I've had it in cold climates (10 degrees & lower), I've had it totally submerged in a mudhole. The whole sheath was covered & filled with mud. It dried & I pulled the knife out & put it back in several times with only minimal scratches to the blade coating! You could hear it grinding in there. I just knew the coating was gonna be gone but I was wrong! That didn't dull it at all. It's cut everything from wire & cables to wood, plastic, etc. Never failed to perform. I went camping several times & it was the only knife I took. I've carried it on all day fourwheeler rides that are extremely rough & it never came out of the sheath or off my belt.

Overall on a scale from 1 to 10, I rate the Izula II a 9.5

I just can't tell you how much I love this knife. It's totally replaced every knife I used to carry. If you're on the fence about an Izzy or you're just looking for something new, do yourself a favor... BUY ONE!

I'd like to give Jeff & Mike a big thanks for being so cool & offering everyone the no questions asked guarantee. That's just crazy guys. We surely appreciate it though! (Although I doubt I'll ever have to use it!)

Good review!

I ordered an Izula II last night from The Knife Connection and am looking forward to getting it. :thumbup:

I have an izula 2 coming in the mail too!!!

I got it in a trade with a dude here on the forum. I got my regular izula in a trade too, and I have used it for so many things! It is such a great blade, and I love it so much. I will definitely be taking one to Alaska when I go visit my uncle this summer! Maybe i'll give my "spare" to my brother.

But yeah this knife can really take abuse. I was cutting some cardboard boxes up to put into recycling, and i accidentally cut through the box and struck the pavement. Ooops. I hit it really hard but all there was was a little bit of and edge chip. I didn't sharpen it after that, but kept using it and actually carved a wooded spoon too. The Izzie performed flawlessly, even with the chip. After a sharpening job, she shaves again and the chip is mostly gone.

But as long as you keep the blade oiled with something (I use mineral oil since I use my blade for food prep too) it really last well and you will have no problems with rusting.

This knife is also super light!!! I gutted my paracord before wrapping, but man can I carry this blade and not even realize it!

Back