my JS performance test knife

Hi folks-

I have received several email requests for images of my JS test knife... These aren't great, but they do show the knife I made for the test.

It's the standard 10" blade, 5" handle test knife dimensions, 52100 blade, 416/copper guard, cocobolo handle.

The second shot shows the amount of "set" it took. I'm pretty proud of how close it went back to straight.

-Nick-

jstestknife11yl.jpg

jstestknife21gt.jpg

jstestknife34dy.jpg

very nice!! :cool: Looks like you went the extra mile on it.

thats the nicest test knife I ever seen.
With the new bend it can now be a high end bowl-carving knife!

Thanks guys!

I was thinking after June I'd hammer it out straight and sell it for an increased price... due to the added character and all ;)

Just out of curiosity I took my food scale and weighed it, it's 10 oz. :)

-Nick-

Looks almost too nicely finished to be a tester... Great work, as usual.

I think you just scored a couple of points above some other applicants too...

The fact that your test knife looks exactly like any of your other "for sale" pieces, tells me that you make each knife with the same integrity and purpose, test knife or not. That would give the potential customer a real confidence boost in your intent and the performance of the knife. (just thinking out loud...) Jason.

Hey Nick, ..... those grinds look a bit off! :D :D

Seriously, congratulations on preparing such a great looking knife, the fact that it is your test knife is even better.

Stephen

Bruce Bump said:
Dont believe him. It probally came out of the quench with that bend! :D
:D Bruce, your'e bad!

Really nice job Nick. Your return on the bend is quite impressive.

Very nice. Looks like the perfect knife to take into the field, though it almost looks too nice to use!

Seen a lot of test knives over the years. That not only passed, but has the nicest finish of the ones I have seen. ;)

Great work Nick! How do you like 52100 in comparison with your usual steels? Is it a PITA to heat-treat well?

Thanks guys!

Bruce... "sssshhhh, don't tell everyone!" ;)

Joss, I have used it a fair amount the last 3 years, but my focus certainly has been simple steels and clay-hardening.

It's pretty similar in heat-treat to O1, and I've heat-treated about 120 O1 blades in the last 3 years. It's very easy to work IMHO. I think it NEEDS a few more steps than the very simple steels like W2, but I put those extra steps into W2 as well anyway... so it all works out about the same.

I don't use the Liquid Nitrogen on simple steels, but do use it on O1 and 52100.

Joe, I didn't even heat-treat YOUR knives, so don't get too confident! HAHAHA :p

-Nick-

NickWheeler said:
Joe, I didn't even heat-treat YOUR knives, so don't get too confident! HAHAHA :p

-Nick-

Dang! I guess next time I get stuck in my truck I won't be able to cut my way out???!!! LOL!!!! :D

Well, I can still shave with 'em! :eek:

I'm amazed you made such a nice knife, knowing it was going to be destroyed.

Good job!

Back