My Kephart knife story (and struggles)

First of all, I am not a Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider and I’m not trying to violate or circumvent any rules here. I plan to upgrade at some point but I’m not offering to sell anything right now… I'm just sharing the first year+ of my Kephart journey for those interested.

Thank you, E and 1066vik for your kind words regarding my work.

I posted a couple pics a while back in my intro/new to the forum thread; I believe I’ve made some progress since then. I first saw the Colclesser knife in June 2017 and finished my first attempt at a copy … er tribute… in late June. I had never tried a convex grind – I had never even used a convex blade – and this thing was convexed toward the cutting edge and the spine. I made knife #1 out of 5160. I took it to Ethan's on July 4, I think.

jIbWt4F.jpg

We did some side x side comparisons and pics. I missed the dimensions a bit and exaggerated the handle contours. I left the convex bevel too thick and it didn’t cut very well. Subtle is the theme of that original knife.

I then cut out 4 blanks from an old 1/8” thick saw blade I had on hand. These would be my practice convex grinding knives. I got close to the dimensions of the original with knife #2 - 5" blade, 4 3/4" handle.
QyCOw9j.jpg

I thinned the blade down some and it cut a lot better than #1. I took knife #2 to my first ever Beckerhead Gathering in August 2017. It got a pretty good workout that weekend.

I finished sawblade knives #3, #4, and #5 with each being a little closer to the original than the previous one. Here are #1-#5 right to left.
pWK3JDT.jpg

I was quite happy with #4 and started to gain some confidence ... but not too much ... because each time I think that, the knife throws me a curve ball. #4 not only looked pretty good, it felt good in hand and cut well.

#5 (Below) has become my user.
OX0yLi7.jpg

97Yyn4k.jpg

fArqpmq.jpg

I've used it in the woods, the kitchen, the back yard, etc. I know I know...it's mystery metal or whatever some might call it but I've sliced, diced, carved, whittled, and batoned with it and have only ever had to touch it up with a honing steel rod and/or a leather strop. Four convex bevels per blade is a real pain but sharpening a convex blade isn't all that complicated.

As I was finishing the last saw blade knives, I was also preparing a batch of O1 tool steel blanks to send to heat treat. I threw in a Kephart; it would become #6. It turned out well. The weight and balance was very close to the original and Ethan let me do another side x side comparison with the original. I got a lot closer than with #1.
g3TAzu7.jpg

I then profiled a dozen blanks, did rough grinds, and sent them to HT.
kqg8aPc.jpg

I've since finished a few of those 12 blanks and the rest are in progress.

L1y1XCB.jpg

pDwWyQD.jpg

MqtpxoA.jpg

If you've made it this far, thank you for your interest.

Wow Mike very nice work! From first to last :thumbsup: You sure have made a lot of progress , that last Knife is Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Just happened across your thread ... it looks like you're capturing the true kephart bit by bit ... it has to be a rush to build and get to compare them to an original ...

I've read some of his writings ... but boy if that knife could talk ... I'd pay money just to sit around the fire and listen to them as long as there were more stories to be told.

Looks really good ... thanks for sharing - JJ

That is quite an exercise, and some fine work. To flatter the designer by imitation is, well, sincere I suppose! :) You have a serious skill set to get as close as you already have, I like them!

Nice work! I remember talking to Ethan by phone in June of 2017, and had mentioned your work on the Kephart you posted on the B&B forum, and linked him to it. He probably already knew you.

That's fantastic work. Really really beautiful.

And it's so generous of you to send one to me for beta testing. Thank you so much for the offer. I'll PM you with the address.
It was worth a shot, right?:p

Sorry, I've been checking PM's ... haha.

Seriously and sincerely, thanks for all the feedback. I love the knife and the history behind it. I still get giddy when I think about having held the original. I've spent a lot of time in 16 months on the project. It's been aggravating and frustrating at times but most rewarding when I read your comments.

I'm trying to clear my bench of some Christmas presents and other commitments so I can spend more time on these.

Thanks again!

Mike is being quite modest.... All the Kepharts were in a real sense “one offs” as they were hand forged and finished, so I suspect that there were some Colclesser originals that were further “off” design specs such as they were than Mike’s blades. I can damn close to Guarantee that Mike’s fit and finish puts the originals to shame....

Both he and Dan have captured the most important part of this blade which is the how and why it works so incredibly well....

Good on ya mike, they are really, really nice....

E

Back