My knife cut through its leather sheath.(Any ideas?)

My knife cut through its leather sheath. (sharp shooter)

It has a big slice through the side. I tried super glue to fix it but it didn't stick.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Any pics? Is it a dry leather or their EEP treated leather? I'm guessing that you cut the edge of sheath, inserting or removing the knife.
Find what glue sheath makers use, and make a "liner" to put inside the sheath. Glue the inside of the sheath to the liner. Or can it be restiched? Pics would help.

Any pics? Is it a dry leather or their EEP treated leather? I'm guessing that you cut the edge of sheath, inserting or removing the knife.
Find what glue sheath makers use, and make a "liner" to put inside the sheath. Glue the inside of the sheath to the liner. Or can it be restiched? Pics would help.

Thanks Foxx

The cut is not the edge. The sheath was so tight, the knife has to role to one side to fit in. the cut is actually in the side of the sheath . the leather is cut diagonally so there is actually a surface area for the glue to be put.

I am not sure I was successful in the description.

I had a Bark River knife do the same thing and they replaced it with a kydex sheath.

Sharpshooter will replace the sheath under the warranty, yes even a slice through.

Yes, send it back. Makers, especially volume makers, need to know when there is a problem and an ill fitting sheath is a problem. Sharpshooter will make it right.

Bark River's knives really need a well fitting sheath, especially with the leather, the knives are mostly silly sharp.

A nice heavy leather custom sheath may be the solution your looking for. :)

I just finished making a replacement for this Marbles sheath. It was made from 5-6oz, and the blade sliced right through. The user inserted the blade at a pretty acute angle for this to happen. Care must be taken that the blade is inserted parallel with the leather.
The knife is pretty sharp and will nick up this 8oz. replacement too if the user isn't careful.

Marblessheath001.jpg

Marblessheath003.jpg

Marblessheath002.jpg

Any leather sheath can be cut through--we do use knives to cut it to make the sheath in the first place, after all. That said, it takes a sharp knife and some effort, so it's the owner's responsibility to be sure that they sheath the blade parallel to the leather, as Rayban said. Now, in your case it sounds like it was more a matter of a sheath that was a tad too small, and I'm sure Sharpshooter will replace it. If they don't, you can always make your own or have a custom one made

I have had this happen to me too - twice. Both times when I FIRST inserted the knife after a tight wet form. Acute angles and a sharp knife will do this if you are not careful.

TF

Sharpshooter has an enviable reputation for quality work, superior customer relations and fairness in his business transactions. Quite often knife users fail to remember that a good knife, with a razor edge, delights in doing what it was made to do---CUT. Knives, such as those with an upswept tip known as a trailing point, are great candidates for altering the physical dimensions of a sheath. Handguns can be thrust into a holster with abandon as no cutting edges are involved-----not so with a knife. The knife user must take into consideration what he is dealing with and act accordingly as he would do when zippering his fly-----get the message? ---Sandy---

Super glue is not the right type of glue for leather.

Contact glue (Barge glue is what I use).

Contact the manufacturer. They will probably replace it no problems.

Back