My Kobuse project

Ok so this forge was somewhat disappointing, it maintained a comforable forging temp but didnt get close to the higher welding temps I needed. I dicked around with a bar of A2 to test it out. Ile have to go back to a charcoal set up for my welds. Decided to make the best of it and forged out a small blade. My striker bailed on me today so I didnt get as much done on the smaller pieces as I would have liked. The Website promised an internal temp close to 2500, maybe it was the outdoors but it probably didnt exceed 2100. Im used to a charcoal ditch I can melt steel in if I leave it a minute too long.

The billets are about a time and a half tougher to forge out then the A2 and heat slower so.. admittedly I got carried away with the A2

Last edited:
Added Mecha and Horse to the Ignore list. Was hoping there would be actual metallurgists or smiths whom had some imput into such natures of this blades construction, rather instead got two trolls with zero knowledge of metallurgy or actual smithing and historical bladesmithing. Somewhat disappointing. I will still continue to update pictures of the progress and maybe some forging footage later.

"Im still half a year away from even finishing my billet for a proper laminated blade :("

Back