My Modded Rat 3,...

I've always loved this model but never much carried it around because of the short handle, so, I remedied the problem. I shaved off the shoulder on the handle opening up more room for my large hands, plenty of room to work now, really like how this turned out. Of course when I modded the knife, the sheath no longer held the knife securely, so, I made a custom kydex sheath for it, I just used a couple of small extra pieces I had and decided to mix it up a bit and used black on the front and coyote tan on the back. Really feels like a workable tool now and also looks much more custom. Think I may have me a new favorite EDC, tell me what you guys think,...:thumbup:
ef7fe2e90e17183ed779b93cba62870e.jpg

344ee1a1a7256a8d792e89c9cfd1f8a9.jpg

ca3c86e059c3aacdc751d2ac14bd708e.jpg

9abe56f427bb3f9261a39cb427509407.jpg

Nice work! Did the same to my ESEE 4 a while back and like it much better afterwards as well. Wish ESEE , or even Ontario for that matter, would come out with a "no choil" version of the 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Nice work! Did the same to my ESEE 4 a while back and like it much better afterwards as well. Wish ESEE , or even Ontario for that matter, would come out with a "no choil" version of the 3 and 4.

Thanks, I agree, I will definitely be using this knife much more now.

The shape of the handle kind of makes me think of our upcoming Limited Edition modified RAT 3. I know Toooj had the same thought.

2QgoqOD.jpg

Great minds must think alike, nice work FFB! Of course, we get to work from a blank slate, so we made a few other changes: wood handles, D2 steel. We went with leather for the pouch, kind of fits the very classic materials on this one. The kydex came out great on yours!

Nice mod, your kydex looks good also.
I have trouble getting the definition you got.

The shape of the handle kind of makes me think of our upcoming Limited Edition modified RAT 3. I know Toooj had the same thought.

2QgoqOD.jpg

Great minds must think alike, nice work FFB! Of course, we get to work from a blank slate, so we made a few other changes: wood handles, D2 steel. We went with leather for the pouch, kind of fits the very classic materials on this one. The kydex came out great on yours!
Looks very nice! I'll be grabbing one as well! Just my opinion, but it looks like the edges of the slabs could use a bit more rounding off. Might make it a little more hand friendly. Either way, I want!!!

Looks very nice! I'll be grabbing one as well! Just my opinion, but it looks like the edges of the slabs could use a bit more rounding off. Might make it a little more hand friendly. Either way, I want!!!

I see what you mean when I look at the picture, but I've got to tell you, I've held the knife and it feels great. Mine isn't the only hand out there, but that was my feeling on it.

Forgedfixedblade your RAT3 looks great. It makes me want to make a similar mod to mine. Thanks.

2QgoqOD.jpg

That D2 RAT3 Mod is such a sweet looking knife. I am sure you guys have a winner with this one. I hope to see more than just a limited run on this knife and it makes it into full production.

I've always loved this model but never much carried it around because of the short handle, so, I remedied the problem. I shaved off the shoulder on the handle opening up more room for my large hands, plenty of room to work now, really like how this turned out. Of course when I modded the knife, the sheath no longer held the knife securely, so, I made a custom kydex sheath for it, I just used a couple of small extra pieces I had and decided to mix it up a bit and used black on the front and coyote tan on the back. Really feels like a workable tool now and also looks much more custom. Think I may have me a new favorite EDC, tell me what you guys think,...:thumbup:

Really a great solution for more hand room.
This kydex sheath is very very nice.

Back