My MW Tin Knife !

I feel it only fair to warn ya that this is one of those posts where ya might think....ooh I need one of those !:D

We all like to have our trusty med/large fixed blades with us in case the worse happens and we find ourselves at the peril of the great outdoors. however what if we become seperated from our main blade, maybe we use it and forget where we placed it or maybe our canoe tips and our blade goes sinking to the river bottom never to be seen again. okay I know it's unlikely but there is always a slim chance.

So let's just say that I left my knife in the long grass and after being distracted there it remains:

P7060044.jpg

If that had been the case today then I would have been left with what was in my pockets and that would be my new Tin knife/gig from Mark Wohlwend:

P7060037.jpg

Obviously it ain't big enough to chop or batton so if I'm using fatwood it needs to be snapped off by hand:

P7060030.jpg

Unlike other mini blades I've used the design of this one really allows you great control, the finger just rests up against the back of the blade:

P7060038.jpg

I wrapped some cord around the handle for 3 reasons: 1. It helps the blade be more visible,2. It makes the blade a little more comfortable to use,3. It gives me some cordage to affix the blade to a pole if I wanted to use it for gigging frogs etc.

I was pleased to find it cuts wood like a scalpel cuts skin :

P7060039.jpg

Hard to take this pic with only one hand but you can see that the back of the blade makes a very handy spot for throwing great sparks with a ferro-rod:

P7060041.jpg

Two stikes and we have fire:

P7060042.jpg

I'm also quite confident that with this little blade I could skin a Squirrel, Rat or even cut up a fish, in fact I know I can....

P7060001.jpg

P7060002.jpg

Gotta figure a better way to secure the wrap as you can see it came loose in the last two pics but I'll sort that !

very cool Pit... i need one of these....:)

Mark-- you still have another for me??:D

I think I have at least two profiled right now. I can heat treat them and get them ground if you want one....

yes indeed, i do want one....:D set one aside for me.. i just got back from a little family vacation to the eastern Sierra's.. i would have loved to have one of these...

what did you decide the price was again?? how many holes did you put in the handle??

check out the pics.. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754885 you might recognize my knife..

I think I am doing 45.00 shipped on these Mike.... I put four holes in the handle.

harpoons.png

I have four available, 45.00 shipped. I will add my initials to the knife before it is shipped...
these are 1095 3/32 and fit inside an altiods tin... post the number that you want, Mike has first dibs...

harpoons.png

I have four available, 45.00 shipped. I will add my initials to the knife before it is shipped...
these are 1095 3/32 and fit inside an altiods tin... post the number that you want, Mike has first dibs...

right on Mark.. those look great... i'll take #2...:thumbup: is it possible to add some jimping along the spine.. maybe above the cutting edge a bit..:) i'll be shipping out your $$$ today..

$$ is in the mail Mark...:thumbup: thanks again man.. i'm looking forward to checking it out..:thumbup:

hey Mark... i was wondering if my $$$ arrived yet, for my tin knife?? i'm looking forward to checking it out...

Hello Mark,
First post on your site, but have snuck by a few times. This looks like a great little tin knife. Do you still have 1, 3, 4 available? I am rolling out of town for a few days, but will check back in on Sunday/Monday. If they are still available, can you hold number 4 and number 1 for me
Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Hello Mark,
First post on your site, but have snuck by a few times. This looks like a great little tin knife. Do you still have 1, 3, 4 available? I am rolling out of town for a few days, but will check back in on Sunday/Monday. If they are still available, can you hold number 4 and number 1 for me
Thanks
Dan

Sorry all these are sold, I will make a fresh batch this weekend and number them and then you guys can pick a number.... my fault I should've posted up quicker they were gone...

I think you need to make a Harpoon XL Mark, 3/16" stock, 7" overall with a 2" blade !

Something like this maybe !

001.jpg

Last edited:
Back