My name is Blackdog & I am an addict.

My name is Blackdog I am a Khukuri addict.

My addiction started slowly. "Just try one" I told myself, "Just one can do no harm".

My first was a Service #1. It gave me a rush and made my eyes glaze over when I chopped something with it. Before I knew it I was buying a Panawal. A bigger rush. Then it was a Mini-jungle. Smaller rushes, but hundreds of them. I am out of control.

My once lush and beautiful yard is now a barren wasteland. Not a limb or a bush left in sight. Where I once chastised my dogs for digging holes in the lawn, I now reason that their lives would be happier if I chop those nasty tree roots out of their way. The package delivery service has become such a familiar sight that my dogs no longer bark at them, or anyone else. Now while my dogs sleep peacefully, I must stay awake to watch for prowlers. But I tell myself this is good. It gives me time to sharpen and polish my Khukuris. If I fall asleep in the middle of one more meeting at work they will fire me. I need sleep. I need help.

I am banned from the kitchen. My wife caught me chopping up a weeks worth of vegetables and meats at 3:00 in the morning. We ate soup for a long, long time. But I tell myself soup is good. Soup is healthy. I like soup. But my wife, she's not a big fan of soup.

They say confession is good for the soul. I have confessed. I feel much better now. I feel I am on the road to recovery.

Craig, are you going to have Sirupatis on stock for a while? That Sirupati in the picture is sure lookin' good. One more can't hurt. I can handle it.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Fellow DOG - you are addicted BAD
smile.gif
You better ease up on the soup....LOL. Chopping everything is sight?! Sounds familiar - my wife calls the Khukuri a machete
frown.gif
. She generally come outside screaming when she sees me chopping up the woody vegetation around the house
smile.gif

The SN1 is a light chopper, and the WW is medium chopper. I may get a BIG chopper
smile.gif

Craig, which one is considered the BIG chopper?!
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

First, about the sirupatis. Because I wasn't exactly specific, I ended up with 30 15 inch sirupatis, and not the 18 and 20 inch sirupatis that I'd been hoping for. They're cool, sort of like skinny service Number Ones with a sword-of-shiva pattern. But alas, Berkley and McNabb own the only two GH sirupatis for a while (except for a couple of special orders that came in with the shipment - more on that later).

As for MadDog's question: as mentioned in another thread, the Panawals have been selling so fast, that I only have three left, and stupid me - I forgot to order more. Besides that one, the Bhojpure is the heavy hitter for the month. I do have some Dragons that I'm thinking of putting up for a forumite special, but they are more like sword-shaped khukuris. Definitely two handed tools.

I've been digging a hole in my back yard to install my koi pond (which has been sitting above ground since I moved into this house), and there are these 12 inch roots spanning the hole. If I could do more than type right now, I'd have a whack at them with a khukuri just for fun. But right now, Marya is passed out on the couch from exhaustion, adn I am not far behind . . .

THREE is an ADDICTION? I've GIVEN three away, and more will go shortly. Good Lord, I only need three more for my second dozen!

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 22 August 1999).]

Actually the total is five. Two of them were given away as gifts. All in less than 3 months.

You're addiction is just longer term than mine Rusty
smile.gif
. I can't imagine what your yard looks like!! Your advice on how to cope with my new (but growing) addiction would probably save me a lot of heartache in the future. I think we should get together and compare notes. Do you like soup?

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Actually, my specialty is early intervention with high risk clients to prevent abuse and subsequent addiction, though I do chemical dependency rehabilitation also.

No reason the same techniques can't be used for other addictions such as knifeaholism, though. I've used them in counseling on spiritual matters with several MDiv.s, preachers, and the like and seen excellent results.

For knifeaholics, my fee is one khukuri per session.

OK, let's see. If I sell the washer & dryer, the stereo, the VCR and the lawn mower (Especially the lawn mower!) I should be able to buy enough Khukuris to pay for 6 or 8 sessions to cure me of my Khukuri addiction.

Wow, this is working out really well. When my wife comes back from vacation she'll be really happy to see that all those stupid appliances are gone and I'm getting better. Get your appointment book out Rusty.

On a serious note, a close friend of mine had a severe chemical dependency. One day he bottomed out and realized that his life was either going to change or end. He entered a rehabilitation program. He said it was the hardest thing he'd ever done, but he's been clean for 6 years. He had someone like you to show him how. Keep at it Rusty. There are a lot of folks out there who need your help.

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Hey, compared to strip searching a baby in the embalming room of the mortuary to see if there's any sign of child abuse or neglect, substance abuse is a piece of cake.

Sometimes, though, I miss the old days when I could use blackmail, extortion, and kidnapping with impunity since I was doing it for the court. And such an interesting bunch in that courthouse too! They even wrote a book about it called "The Nye County Brothel Wars". what interesting reading it makes for when it turns out you've worked with most of the people involved.

Nye Co. Nevada is truly a place where you buy a bulletproof vest and then use both layers of it to cover your back from the inevitable knives stuck there. And those are the trustworthy respectable people down there. The others you wouldn't dream of turning your back on.

I tell ya, Rusty. Your job sounds both greusome and thrilling at the same time - greusome because of the things you see that those of us not in the trenches are spared from, and thrilling that you are actually doing something positive. My hat's off to you.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back