My name is Worldwatcher and I’m a CPKaholic!

Question for you all. Do you coat your blades with oil? I have used mineral oil on high carbon steels in the past and usually use clp on knives that don’t touch food. Is this the best for this 3v? I know these are supposed to be mostly stainless but I am admittedly pretty ocd when it come to knife and gun maintenance. Thx

Question for you all. Do you coat your blades with oil? I have used mineral oil on high carbon steels in the past and usually use clp on knives that don’t touch food. Is this the best for this 3v? I know these are supposed to be mostly stainless but I am admittedly pretty ocd when it come to knife and gun maintenance. Thx
If you're as OCD as I am (and plan on keeping the knives a looooong time); I remove the scales and clean and coat the tang with a protectant (you can use stuff like Obenauf's, TC-11, or even plasticoat), then put the scales back on.

For blades that will only ever be used on wood, I use Marine Tuf-Glide on the blade. For knives that may be used for food processing, a light coat of Thirteen Chefs knife oil. Honestly though, the D3V doesn't really rust very easily, unless it's subjected to some really abysmal conditions.

Yep.
Some companies send their knives out with mineral oil on the scales and sheath but it wears off quick. Obenaufs does the same, but lasts quite a while and doesn’t attract much dust.
Aside from aesthetics, is there a benefit to using Obenaufs on micarta/kydex?

The materials seem fairly weather resistant as-is. Does it change the feel of the grip at all, especially if the grip is wet with water/blood?

Aside from aesthetics, is there a benefit to using Obenaufs on micarta/kydex?

The materials seem fairly weather resistant as-is. Does it change the feel of the grip at all, especially if the grip is wet with water/blood?
Just aesthetics on kydex, but it acts as a barrier on the scales.
I use it on my Rit dyed scales now and they stay cleaner than when I didn’t use it.

Back