my new EDC Koyote

First off let me get in my disclaimer:
I have never been known as a man to use the proper tool for the job!
I'll use pliers as a hammer, crescent wrench as pliers, screwdriver as pry bar, knife will be used for digging something out of the ground, opening paint cans, hammer is something I throw across the yard when I get mad! :)

Well, I got my new Koyote in the mail the other day and I couldn't wait to try it out.
First impressions is sheath is nicely made. It holds the knife very secure and I like that. Sometimes sheaths seem like an afterthought of the knife maker and I never understand why. If you have a crappy sheath...you will lose the knife. Maybe its job security, you lose their knife you gotta buy another one. :)
Handle is good looking and fits my small hands pretty good. The wood is Lacewood and very good looking
Blade shape is nice.
Blade isn't too thick but it's thick enough to let you know you're not holding a toy! I'm not afraid to pry with it.
It wasn't as sharp as I would have figured, but no worries...everybody should know how to sharpen a knife. Since I already pointed out that I rarely use the proper tool for the job...I've had plenty of practice sharpening knives and I"m pretty good at it, its soothing time for me also.
I took this little beauty down to the barn to do chores and such. I had to chip away a good bit of ice from the horse trough. Cleaned their hooves a little. Cut open some hay bales. Cut a small switch so I could throw for the dog. Pretty much just anything I could think of and bare at the moment....it was -7 today, wind chill put it -35. So I didn't stay outside very long.
I didn't take any pictures today because I left the camera at the house and I wasn't walking all the way back to get it. I'll take some shots outside later and post on the picture thread.
Hopefully me and some buddies from base will get to do some hunting next week and I'll see how many deer it'll clean.
I have alot of knives! Some production, some customs, some with no name makers that actually work pretty damn good and some that are just old files...that work pretty good also.
I'm not afraid to grab this little cutter and go do whatever I want. I have other knives that I carry (normally I carry at least 2) that I know that I will not dig rocks out of the horses hooves with.
Overall impressions....I like it!!!!
Koyote will see more of my business in the future for sure.
Maybe after my next deployment I'll get something a little bigger...the dog needs to chase big sticks too! :)
I know my opinion doesn't mean squat and if I never bought another knife from Koyote it wouldn't put him out of business.
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth...and its not even worth that much.

Last edited:
Sometimes sheaths seem like an afterthought of the knife maker and I never understand why. If you have a crappy sheath...you will lose the knife. Maybe is job security, you lose their knife you gotta buy another one. :)

hahahahaha! Maybe I should keep that in mind :p ...

Glad you like it :thumbup:

I didn't get photos of that one in the christmas rush. Ah, well.

Convex edges can be a bit funny. Often don't feel as sharp as they are. Though, it's always good to have the edge you are going to put on it in the first place, since you have to sharpen it forever anyhow.

I'm really looking forward to a deer report.

Sierra is a joy. She's really made the sheaths stand out. Someday someone is going to come along and try to hire her out from under me!

Gotta see the pics!, with out pics, well........

Just kidding! Thanks for sharing your oppinion of the knife!

Where are you stationed? I'm just curious as I was USAF also:thumbup:

I'll try and get pics tomorrow...it'll still be cold and I HATE the cold!!!!!..I'm from TEXAS!
The only reason I put up with cold is because I love hunting and the outdoors. I was stationed in Wyoming for 5yrs before this...I like the mountains.
I'm at Ellsworth AFB, S.D.

I gotta get udtjim over here, us REAL, er, I mean, NAVY vets are outnumbered.

Convex edges can be a bit funny. Often don't feel as sharp as they are. Though, it's always good to have the edge you are going to put on it in the first place, since you have to sharpen it forever anyhow.

Yes this took me a bit to get used to. The polished bevel doesn't really grab your skin like a V will. When cutting, the polished edge does what it is supposed to do. It slices through material withough getting hung up by friction like you do on a V when the knife gets past the first bevel.

Anyhow, as Christoff indicates. It is best to grind the edge so that it is sharpened the way you sharpen it.

Back