My new favorite 3 inch tactical folder

Since I travel to a city (Oakland) which has a less than 3 inch requirement, I decided to look for a comfortable useful blade that can be used in multiple roles. My top choice for this need has been my lovely Sage 1. The Sage is wonderful in almost every way, inlcuding a great heat treat on the S30V steel. But, being always on the lookout for a better option, I took the plunge, and am super satisfied with this new candidate.

It has very fine high quality steel, a very narrow width, is comfortable in multiple grips, fast opening, and a great deep pocket carry clip.

The contenders:

Last edited:
reground ZT 0770CFM4 is now a contender for top spot.

Last edited:
a zt is always a good choice and suits many different cutting applications...nice CF handle too

I do like the look of the new blade shape.

I really want to love my 0770CF, but something about the assist makes me sick. I take it out once a week and try to love it, but it just goes back in the drawer. Mine sucks de-assisted. Has anyone ever replaced the washers for better un-assisted action? The size, weight, slimness, clip... all great things.

The ZT0770 has a 3.25" blade. Is that what the reground means? Shortened .25"? I notice the edge is wider at near the tip

Hi Abbazaba. i have seen some reviews where others do not like their assist, but just don't understand. This specimen is excellent. Precise, fast, smooth and reliable. The speed is great, but not un-controllable at all.

The ZT0770 has a 3.25" blade. Is that what the reground means? Shortened .25"? I notice the edge is wider at near the tip

Yes. I reground it for both length and shape. And, yes, it is thicker at the tip. With a consistent 15 DPS it both strong, and sharp at the tip. I knew that the bevel would be wider towards the tip before I started, but was willing to have that for the other benefits. After all, the best knife is the one that you have on you when you need it.

Since I travel to a city (Oakland) which has a less than 3 inch requirement, I decided to look for a comfortable useful blade that can be used in multiple roles. My top choice for this need has been my lovely Sage 1. The Sage is wonderful in almost every way, inlcuding a great heat treat on the S30V steel. But, being always on the lookout for a better option, I took the plunge, and am super satisfied with this new candidate.

It has very fine high quality steel, a very narrow width, is comfortable in multiple grips, fast opening, and a great deep pocket carry clip.

The contenders:

Nice!

Nice work. It looks good and probably cuts like a winner.

TY. yes, it is a fantastic cutter. I was going to put a mirror finish on, but stopped at 120 grit! Yes, 120 grit Congress SC! Using my new Hapstone Pro from Gritomatic was so precise that I stopped at 120 grit with no microbevel (at least for now.) A couple strokes on wood, and then a few swipes on a loaded strop to remove any remaining micro burr, and it push cuts phone book paper amazingly well. Of course, with slice cuts, it is amazing on anything at this grit.

I've been sharpening for about 57 years, and using the Edge Pro for over 10 years or so. Wasn't able to get quite the precision as with this new sharpener. It is a real winner for sure.

knowing myself though, it probably wont be very long before I go for more polish.

It's a shame so many knives I like are 3.25 to 3.5. 3 seems to be my comfortable spot for normal use.

TY. yes, it is a fantastic cutter. I was going to put a mirror finish on, but stopped at 120 grit! Yes, 120 grit Congress SC! Using my new Hapstone Pro from Gritomatic was so precise that I stopped at 120 grit with no microbevel (at least for now.) A couple strokes on wood, and then a few swipes on a loaded strop to remove any remaining micro burr, and it push cuts phone book paper amazingly well. Of course, with slice cuts, it is amazing on anything at this grit.

I've been sharpening for about 57 years, and using the Edge Pro for over 10 years or so. Wasn't able to get quite the precision as with this new sharpener. It is a real winner for sure.

knowing myself though, it probably wont be very long before I go for more polish.

I had to laugh at the last line Raymond!!!!!
Juuuuuuust a little more!!! It can always be a little better!!
Too funny and I'll bet most of us here feel the same way!!!
👍👍👍
Joe

I had to laugh at the last line Raymond!!!!!
Juuuuuuust a little more!!! It can always be a little better!!
Too funny and I'll bet most of us here feel the same way!!!
👍👍👍
Joe

lol Joe! This is funny indeed. I just read this when I came in from taking the edge from 120 to 240 and then to 400 grit Congress SC!

Hopefully, i can leave it here, at what I call the "Ankersen" level of functional sharpness. At this grit, it pushcuts phone book paper effortlessly and almost silently. Popps hairs off with a gentle touch. So, why in the world world could i want it even sharper?

UHHH, "because it looks nicer", "because it might be a little sharper"
or, how about this one: "because I can."

oh well, better than watching the tube.

Go to Oakland myself from time to time; wasn't aware of the sub-3 inch restriction. Thanks for the warning.

Go to Oakland myself from time to time; wasn't aware of the sub-3 inch restriction. Thanks for the warning.

I get down into Oakland often, myself. Wasn't aware of the blade restriction, either. I wonder what other areas of the bay area have restrictions.

Back