My New Fiddleback!! - - Black on Black on Black Bushfinger!

LightGuy

Gold Member
My new Bushfinger from Andy's Christmas batch made it, and it is truly a work of art! This one is a little off the beaten path, with black on black scales and black pins. The orange pinstripe is also something new, and just sets this knife off.

We just had a cold snap here in the north-east, so it'll be a few days before I'll be able to get it out and play with it. But I have to say that this is the most comfortable knife I have ever held in my hands! This one has the beefy 3/16" blade, so it will be a great all-around 4" blade.

It is razor sharp, with Andy's nice convex grind. I'm loving this thing. It fits very snug in the sheath as well, and has great retention. This is a big deal to me as I don't even want to think about losing this thing...love the sheath too - very nice!

If I had to say if there was down side as a first impression, it would only be that this knife has only four 1/8" pins vs. the five some of Bushfingers come with. Yes, I know it makes zero difference in real world use, but I just can't get over my nature of loving over-built tools...

Without further ado - my Fiddleback Bushfinger!

The unveiling...

6631421553_5ddab7ab78_b.jpg

6631422105_1ab7d21086_b.jpg

6631423337_902f29895d_b.jpg

(Sorry - took this one before I wiped off the leather sheath dust...)

6631422673_e09d5e69dc_b.jpg

6631423907_ff4f48ac03_b.jpg

6631424439_fd9b3eee24_b.jpg

The 3D spalting looks just amazing...

6631425045_f4e8fea8cc_b.jpg

Last edited:
I make them with 4 pins all the time. I've made a few with two.

I make them with 4 pins all the time. I've made a few with two.

Thanks - good to know Andy. I guess I am still relatively new to your knives, even though I've drooled over what seems like hundreds of pics of them...

Beautiful knife! I love the black on black scales. I wouldn't worry about the four pins structurally, I have used my Fiddlebacks for fire-bow-from-scratch instruction more than once and put them through some rough paces with no issues at all. The only reason I get hung up on the five pins is because I am personally hung up on odd numbers...

I do things like this with them on a fairly regular basis.

http://sewilderness.com/fire_bow.html

That is a fine looking knife, you certainly have a good eye sir!

I've been fancying a Fiddleback for a long time now but that may be the best looking one I've ever seen. Congratulations to you and Andy!

When do we get to see her working?

Claudiasboris

That's a nice lookin Bushfinger :thumbup:

Brian, thanks for the link to your firebow tutorial, I'll be referencing that soon for sure. :thumbup:

That's a nice lookin Bushfinger :thumbup:

Brian, thanks for the link to your firebow tutorial, I'll be referencing that soon for sure. :thumbup:

Cool, let me know if you have any questions Russell. I'm still going over the text and catching words I left out and trying to make sure I didn't leave anything important out. The site isn't finished yet but you may want to save the home page link...I may start an advance fire craft section and move the bow drill to there. If I do the link to this page will no longer work

One hell of a beautiful knife there.

Got a Recluse this week that will have the same handle treatment.

[...]The site isn't finished yet but you may want to save the home page link...I may start an advance fire craft section and move the bow drill to there. If I do the link to this page will no longer work

Will do, thanks :thumbup:

L/G, excellent looking Bushfinger, especially the black/black/black finishes. Should perform well for you with just about any chore you need to do with it. Really like the blade to handle finish, great color combo.
Mist buddy, great article on the firebow project, & congrats on the new site. Excellent idea of all those subjects in one place. Looking forward to reading and getting some ideas from it.
Also, great article on the Exfiltrator-5 as well.
Be safe.

Andy, it looks as though you've eliminated the exposed butt end of the tang on the Bushfinger? Also the handle seems to have a bit more swell in the scales?
Did you extend the scales to meet your original pattern, or just grind down the tang to meet the scales?

Beautiful knife! I love the black on black scales. I wouldn't worry about the four pins structurally, I have used my Fiddlebacks for fire-bow-from-scratch instruction more than once and put them through some rough paces with no issues at all. The only reason I get hung up on the five pins is because I am personally hung up on odd numbers...

I do things like this with them on a fairly regular basis.

http://sewilderness.com/fire_bow.html

Thanks for the info mistwalker - and thanks for the link to your website with the fire-bow info and other survival info - very interesting and informative information! I can see I'll be spending more than a couple of hours out there learning some very cool stuff...

Back