My new knifemaker's vise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
vise is a awesome deal,, i like to spend cash on tools but i refuse to pay 199.00 on a vise like like this,, this is a great deal,, we can make 2 or 3 of these just by hitting the local swap meet ,, we found the pipe and other cool stuff to make a few,, and even if u want pool balls as handles we found some of those to,, a liitle buffing and the balls look like glass,, but the t handles will work great,, be cool and thanx for the sight, keep on knifing,, TOM T

Good job! Give her some paint and she'll be one slick vise. I need to make something like that one of these days.

Allen

Looks very good. It's very similar to mine. I eventually had to inlay in a section of pipe into the wood where the tensioning bolt contacts the wood, as the bolt was digging into the wood.
Alden

Thanks, it was painted shortly after. I will probably make another one with tighter fitting piping. There is a little play and the single screw that tightens it is not enough to prevent it. I also need to work on the insert design a little or find a hard rubber to make one. The wood is to stiff and also forces you to tighten like crazy.

Hare are a few pics of it painted.

Pad

Attachments

• IMG_3790 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3790 (Small).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3792 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3792 (Small).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3793 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3793 (Small).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 220
Thanks, it was painted shortly after. I will probably make another one with tighter fitting piping. There is a little play and the single screw that tightens it is not enough to prevent it. I also need to work on the insert design a little or find a hard rubber to make one. The wood is to stiff and also forces you to tighten like crazy.

Hare are a few pics of it painted.

Pad

Pad here are some pics of mine. I use two bolts to tighten the wooden jaw, so that it can be tightened to a wedge shape. The immovable jaw is mounted solidly, the moveable one floats on a screw so it can make full contact. You can see the metal inset I talked about in the other post that protects the wood. The pipe is real loose but also has 2 bolts (one on each side coming up at an angle) and has no problem. The "bolts" contacting the pipe are set screws (pennies soldered on for more hand torque) and have a dimple in the end so they are grabbier then a flat ended bolt. I have it mounted on the sub base in such a way as I can clamp it to the bench either horizontally or vertically. I find it more useful like that. I also have other small vises on sub bases (you can see another in the background) to be able to put them on that or another bench or clear the bench for another use.
I think you can "fine tune" that vise to work well. Your stuff looks first class.
I hope this helps.

Thank you
Alden

Attachments

• Knife vise 002.jpg
    Knife vise 002.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 271
  • Knife vise 004.jpg
    Knife vise 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Knife vise 007.jpg
    Knife vise 007.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Knife vise 008.jpg
    Knife vise 008.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for the pics and explanations Alden. Some very good ideas there. I'll try and incorporate some of your ideas to fine tune mine. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Pad

Lil Dave, come down on a Saturday and we can make one up like mine.;)

Wa..Wa..Wally, after the welding job that you did the last time I saw you,,,,,,well. Dave you'd have better luck sticking it together with super glue :eek:

Wa..Wa..Wally, don't blame the welding machine :jerkit:

I built one with square tubing and hocky pucks....Mounts in a bench vise and is very simple and easy one to build...I built two last night in a few minutes....Can email a picture if anyone is interested................carl

Hi Y'all,

This thread is perfect for me. I'm just starting to put something like this to together too.

I'm also trying to figure out how to best support the blade when extended from the vise so it can be draw filed. I liked the sound of this, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3009481&postcount=5, but don't really understand the description and the photos are missing.

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks, Phil

Phil. I took a piece of 1 1/2" wide 1/4" flat stock and cut it so it had a slow taper from both sides and ended about 1/2 wide. then I drilled a string of staggered holes and tapped them to 1/4 20 threads. Then I put a brass bolt in each hole with a wing nut on each bolt. I rounded the end of each bolt on my grinder. I put it under my blade and then run each brass bolt up till it just touches the blade and lock it with the wing nut.

kniveviseandbar.jpg

I built one with square tubing and hocky pucks....Mounts in a bench vise and is very simple and easy one to build...I built two last night in a few minutes....Can email a picture if anyone is interested................carl

A pic would be great Carl, thanks.

Pad

Yes indeed, where are the pics of those pucks?

That setup with brass supports look to be just the ticket Jim (although the photo sux big time :D). Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes indeed, where are the pics of those pucks?

That setup with brass supports look to be just the ticket Jim (although the photos suck big time :D). Thanks!

I think that blade support is excellent too, I might apply your idea Jim. You'd shake your head if you saw the clamp-to-a-board-and-shim method I use for hand sanding now... :rolleyes:

And I still haven't built a nice knife vice (try saying that out loud), still because I don't have a welder. I'm going to have to track someone down to do some welding for me, there are a number of things I want to do (like redo my failed pin press). At least I can start gathering the material for a knife vise; I've really been wishing I had one lately and this thread came along again at a good time.

Hey guys. Pad, and everyone else thanks for the pics and links. I've been meaning to build one of these things for months and this thread was the inspiration I needed. I put it on a heavy base that I can clamp and move out of the way when not in use. Its still pretty rough around the edges and not pretty, but it works. I just have to build a sanding support to fit into it so I can use it for sanding blades. As it is, that blade is just out there waiting to get me if I'm not careful.:eek:
I also wish I had pipes that fit tighter than these as it has a lot of slop in it. I'm thinking of maybe gluing some popsicle sticks or some such in the bottom inside of the large horizontal pipe to take up some of the slop.
Again thanks to all for this thread!
Ed

Attachments

• 2-15-09 043.jpg
    2-15-09 043.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 167
Nice vice!That`s what I miss the most about making knives, coming up with a jig or a tool to solve a problem I`m having. That was as much fun as the actual knife-making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back